Linguist / Polyglot / Curriculum Designer
Help improve how millions of people learn languages on Duolingo.
We are looking for a language enthusiast who has experience teaching and/or learning languages, as well as excellent knowledge of language typology. If you have strong skills in designing language curricula and can quickly get up to speed on how the grammar of practically any language works, this job is for you! You will join our team of course designers and help us deliver the best language education in the world. Join Duolingo to feel empowered as an educator, affecting how millions of people learn.
This is an open rank position. We will consider candidates from recent MA or PhD graduates to more senior candidates with years of work experience. The job rank will be adjusted accordingly. This role is based in Pittsburgh, PA.
- Work side by side with talented curriculum designers, content developers, product and project managers, designers, and engineers to deliver high-quality products for teaching languages
- Help design curricula and specific content for a variety of Duolingo courses by advising other language experts on how to teach on the Duolingo platform
- Train and supervise other course content creators
- Develop and maintain guidelines for curriculum and content creation on Duolingo
- MA (or equivalent experience) in linguistics, applied linguistics, language (with a linguistic focus), or a related field
- Ability to think about language analytically (e.g., breaking down grammatical concepts into smaller parts for the purposes of teaching)
- Familiarity with the principles of language learning and/or teaching, and ability to scaffold the learning experience
- Excellent knowledge of the possible linguistic properties across languages, especially in morphology and syntax
- Basic proficiency in multiple languages, including at least two of the following: Spanish, French, German, Italian, Chinese, Japanese
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, and organizational skills
- Ability to relocate to Pittsburgh, PA
Exceptional candidates will have:
- PhD in linguistics or a related field
- Experience working in EdTech
- Familiarity with language standards such as CEFR or ACTFL
- Experience managing people and projects
- Advanced proficiency in multiple languages
Back to top