Head Writer, Studios
- New York, NY
Create stories that will engage, educate, and entertain millions worldwide at Duolingo.
We’re seeking an experienced candidate to lead scripted writing efforts for our studios team. Our ideal person has a broad range of experience leading writing teams and producing content in episodic, comedic, scripted formats at a world-class level, and can effectively own and manage the creative vision of our character-driven stories.
This role reports to the Head of Studios + Content as a member of the Studios team, the growing team producing original content including videos, stories and podcasts in multiple languages that reach millions worldwide wishing to learn about language, culture and more.
- Oversee original writing efforts for Duolingo Stories, including giving feedback and approval on storylines and scripts and managing freelance writer assignments
- Set and maintain a world-class level of quality for storytelling and engagement
- Evolve and maintain our character and world bible for use across scripted projects
- Oversee writing efforts and assignments for scripted audio, animated, or video projects
- Work closely with creative producing team on recruiting and onboarding writers, and casting of voice actors and other creative contributors
- Collaborate effectively with illustrators, animators, producers and directors on audiovisual production
- Evolve and maintain our writing workflows, creative standards and best practices
Desired Skills & Qualifications
- At least 5-7 years experience in an equivalent role, including writing and producing, in animation, live action, or episodic storytelling
- At least 1-2 years experience leading, or co-leading, a writing or producing team
- Excellent interpersonal communication and leadership skills
- Proficiency with Final Draft and G Suite for writing and collaboration
- Extensive writing contacts and ability to staff and recruit for scripted projects
- A love for storytelling, a penchant for comedy and a deep well of creative ideas
- Experience with creating stories for multicultural and international audiences
- A demonstrated commitment to representation, diversity and inclusion in staffing and managing creative projects
- Ability to travel to Duolingo's Pittsburgh, PA headquarters every quarter
Exceptional candidates will have...
- Experience writing for both kids and family and all-ages or adult comedy
- Experience in education, language learning or instruction
- Created an original scripted property, including developing characters and bible
- Experience in casting and working with voice and/or screen actors
- Experience directing or producing animated content
- Interest in creating and developing their own projects
- Familiarity with producing for interactive, digital and/or social platforms
- Working proficiency in more than one language, especially one of the following: Spanish, French, German, Portuguese, or Chinese
Back to top