Engineering Manager, Architecture
- Pittsburgh, PA
The Architecture team focuses on how to design our service infrastructure to scale - both for a growing user base and a growing engineering organization. We collaborate with teams to design and build services that supplant legacy implementations in our monolith codebase. We also determine and disseminate the tools, libraries, and best practices needed to develop and maintain the distributed system of services that powers Duolingo.
As the Engineering Manager of the Architecture Team, you will coordinate these efforts: determining which projects the team should work on, collaborating with stakeholders and engineering teams across the company, creating technical specifications and roadmaps, and tracking progress.
- Manage a team of software engineers, including task planning and code reviews.
- Plan, write and review service specifications to determine how Duolingo’s infrastructure is architected.
- Drive technical projects and provide leadership in an innovative and fast-paced environment.
- Be responsible for the overall planning, execution and success of complex technical projects.
- Work closely across the Engineering organization to ensure we are building the best products.
- Identify best practices and tools to develop to maximize the ability to build and maintain scalable services and execute on those projects.
- Contribute technically to projects.
- B.A./B.S. in Computer Science or a related field.
- Relevant work experience, including industry experience.
- Demonstrated expertise in problem solving and technical innovation.
- Technical experience in distributed systems, including: databases, caching, inter-service communication, networking, and cloud services
- Technical management experience managing teams consisting of five or more.
- People management skills, proven track record of mentoring and coaching team members.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Ability to relocate to Pittsburgh, PA.
Exceptional candidates will have:
- Master's degree or PhD in Computer Science or related field.
- Extensive engineering experience in fast-growing, consumer-facing, data-driven startups.
Back to top