Dropbox is a special place where we are all seeking to fulfill our mission to design a more enlightened way of working. We're looking for innovative talent to join us on our journey. The words shared by our founders at the start of Dropbox still ring true today. Wouldn't it be great if our working environment-and the tools we use-were designed with people's actual needs in mind? Imagine if every minute at work were well spent-if we could focus and spend our time on the things that matter. This is possible, and Dropbox is connecting the dots.The nearly 3,000 Dropboxers around the world have helped make Dropbox a living workspace - the place where people come together and their ideas come to life. Our 700+ million global users have been some of our best salespeople, and they have helped us acquire customers with incredible efficiency. As a result, we reached a billion dollar revenue run rate faster than any software-as-a-service company in history.Dropbox is making the dream of a fulfilling and seamless work life a reality. We hope you'll join us on the journey.
Our Engineering team is working to simplify the way people work together. They're building a family of products that handle over a billion files a day for people around the world. With our broad mission and massive scale, there are countless opportunities to make an impact.
Our Engineering team is architecting a family of products that handle over a billion files a day. We take on the complexities of technology that affect everyday life, so people can get back to living and doing their best work.
The heart of Dropbox is engineering; the heart of our engineering team are our Staff Engineers, who set the tone and pace of engineering at Dropbox. Staff Engineers work at a cross-engineering scope, driving impact felt by hundreds of Dropboxers and millions of customers. As a Staff Software Engineer, you will contribute in a multitude of ways, from architecting phenomenal systems, creating and encouraging good software development practices engineering-wide, driving strategic technical improvements, and mentoring other engineers.
Dropbox is a unique opportunity to work with best-in-class engineers on very large engineering problems, but in an environment with small teams and abundant opportunities for personal impact and growth.
- You will set direction not only for the team but will help guide engineering vision
- You will architect important systems and anticipate strategic and scaling-related challenges via thoughtful long-term planning
- You will write code as we expect our technical leadership to be in the trenches alongside junior engineers, understanding root causes and leading by example
- You will mentor engineers, both junior and senior
- You will own relationships with other engineering teams and collaborate with other functions within Dropbox
- BS (or higher, e.g., MS, or PhD) in Computer Science or related technical field involving coding (e.g., physics or mathematics), or equivalent technical experience
- 15+ years of professional software development experience
- Experience in Full-Stack environments
- Solid CS fundamentals with experience across a range of disciplines, with one or more area of deep knowledge and experience
- Proven track record of senior technical leadership
- Strong knowledge of shipping impactful and complex software projects
- Ability to set technical and cultural standards for engineers
Our Engineering Career Framework is viewable by anyone outside the company and describes what's expected for our engineers at each of our career levels. Check out our blog post on this topic and more here.
For candidates hired in San Francisco metro, New York City metro, or Seattle metro, the expected salary/On-Target Earnings (OTE) range for the role is currently $229,500 - $270,000 - $310,500.
For candidates hired in the following locations: Austin (TX) metro, Chicago metro, California (outside SF metro), Colorado, Connecticut (outside NYC metro), Delaware, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New York (outside NYC metro), Oregon, Pennsylvania (outside NYC or DC metro), Washington (outside Seattle metro) and Washington DC metro, the expected salary/On-Target Earnings (OTE) range for the role is currently $206,600 - $243,000 - $279,500.
For candidates hired in all other US locations, the expected salary/On-Target Earnings (OTE) range for this role is currently $183,600 - $216,000 - $248,400.
Range(s) is subject to change. Dropbox takes a number of factors into account when determining individual starting pay, including job and level they are hired into, location/metropolitan area, skillset, and peer compensation. Dropbox uses the zip code of an employee's remote work location to determine which metropolitan pay range we use.
Salary/OTE is just one component of Dropbox's total rewards package. All regular employees are also eligible for the corporate bonus program or a sales incentive (target included in OTE) as well as stock in the form of Restricted Stock Units (RSUs).
Dropbox is an equal opportunity employer. We are a welcoming place for everyone, and we do our best to make sure all people feel supported and connected at work. A big part of that effort is our support for members and allies of internal groups like Asians at Dropbox, BlackDropboxers, Latinx, Pridebox (LGBTQ), Vets at Dropbox, Women at Dropbox, ATX Diversity (based in Austin, Texas) and the Dropbox Empowerment Network (based in Dublin, Ireland).