Software Engineer - Location Flexible
Dropbox is now a Virtual First company, which means work outside of an office will be the primary experience for all employees. Being Virtual First also means the location of our employees is targeted but flexible. If "Location Flexible" is listed in the job title of a role, the role can be located in any of the states where Dropbox is authorized to do business. Some roles (including those which do not have "Location Flexible" in the job title), however, may have to be co-located with their teams in certain locations. Please work with your recruiter and your hiring manager to understand any location constraints of a particular role and to communicate your location preferences. Dropbox is authorized to do business in many, but not all, states. If you are not located in or able to work from a state where Dropbox is registered, you will not be eligible for employment. Please speak with your recruiter to learn more about where Dropbox is registered.
Dropbox is one place to keep life organized and keep work moving. With more than 600 million registered users across 180 countries, we're on a mission to design a more enlightened way of working. Dropbox is headquartered in San Francisco, CA, and has offices around the world. For more information on our mission and products, visit dropbox.com.
Our Engineering team is working to simplify the way people work together. They're building a family of products that handle over a billion files a day for people around the world. With our broad mission and massive scale, there are countless opportunities to make an impact.
Dropbox is looking for software engineers to come build the next generation of work collaboration tools. The software engineer role is a generalist role, accepting people with a broad range of expertise with an emphasis in backend and distributed systems work. You can find more specialized engineering roles including mobile, web, and fullstack on our engineering jobs page.
Software engineers work at all levels of the stack to deliver software - everything from syncing exabytes of data, to staying in flow with Dropbox Paper, to handling millions of HTTP requests. Software Engineers are at the heart of everything we do at Dropbox, and in a typical week you'll be expected to develop new features in a multi-functional team of designers, product managers, project managers, and quality assurance engineers. Software engineers are also responsible for the quality of the code and systems they produce, working hand-in-hand with customer experience and quality assurance Dropboxers to ensure that our product continues to serve the needs of our tens of millions of users.
If you are a new grad or intern please apply directly to that role.
- You will partner with product managers, designers, and analysts to deeply understand the needs of our users and build a product that serves those needs
- You will build infrastructure to handle metadata for hundreds of billions of files, hundreds of petabytes of user data, and millions of concurrent connections
- You will write modular, secure, and well-tested code
- You will design and build software capable of reaching millions of daily users in Python, React, and Go
- You will ensure that our development environment is best in class by delivering improvements to internal tooling and direct partnership with our product platform teams
- You will work closely with customer support to respond quickly to issues for our users and solve those in a permanent and scalable way
- You will articulate a technical vision for a more enlightened way of working and work with multi-functional partners to deliver that vision
- BS (or higher, e.g., MS, or PhD) in Computer Science or related technical field involving coding (e.g., physics or mathematics), or equivalent technical experience
- 2+ years of work related industry experience
- A desire to take Dropbox even further. If these large-scale projects resonate, we'd love to learn more about you and find out if we can work together
Back to top