Software Engineer Intern - Summer 2018
Dropbox supports hundreds of millions of creators and innovators around the world. Our mission is to simplify the way people work together. Dropbox Business is trusted by over 200,000 companies to safeguard their most important information. As we continue to build the best place to create, share, and work with others, there's a perfect spot for you to grow with us.
New graduates and interns at Dropbox work alongside industry leaders, architecting the growing family of products that handle over a billion files a day for people and businesses around the world. From day one, you'll have the responsibility and the support you need to make a difference on a massive scale.
The Dropbox internship program is a top-notch learning experience for engineering students from all backgrounds. You will be paired up with dedicated mentors committed to guiding them to success and providing consistent, helpful feedback. Interns have ownership over their project and are encouraged to collaborate with full-time engineers to get them finished successfully. Our goal is to provide the best learning experience possible (not to mention the huge variety of social events that help to connect friendships, mentors and networks for life!)
Creating elegant products begins with lots of prototyping and iteration to explore the problem space. We care deeply about collaboration and feedback during the iterative development process. It culminates in careful attention to edge cases and error handling, polished code, and great tests to ensure that we ship a reliable product that never compromises data integrity or security. Every Dropbox software release reaches hundreds of millions of people, and the user-to-engineer and petabyte-to-engineer ratio are very high here.
As an intern, you will go toe-to-toe with Dropbox engineers. We offer many different types of roles and teams that you can have an impact on. Open positions are based on team and business need. Here are some of the things you might do:
- Product Engineering - You'll build delightful full-stack user experiences that solve real customer needs and drive tons of $$ for Dropbox - across backend, api, desktop, mobile and web.
- Infrastructure Engineering - Craft the building blocks that let us scale Dropbox to handle millions of concurrent connections, hundreds of billions of files and hundreds of petabytes of data.
- Analytics Engineering - Measure, optimize and build one of the industry's most advanced analytics platforms to derive meanings from vast amounts of data. Our analytics platform processes more data than many other analytics companies combined.
- Mobile Engineering - You are an Objective-C, Swift, Java and C++ wizard - this team knows the ins and outs of iOS and Android SDK and can weave and bend the API's to their will to craft the Dropbox client experience on mobile devices. They also build the backend systems that power the mobile experiences and optimize the protocol between client and server for reliability, efficiency and speed.
- Web engineering - You're responsible for our website - dropbox.com and paper.dropbox.com. They do everything product engineers do but they're also deeply interested in building a fast, scalable, and responsive Dropbox experience for the modern web, using cutting-edge tools like Typescript, React, and Redux.
- Security Engineering - People trust Dropbox to keep their data secure, and at Dropbox we rely on our security engineers to make our products safe. You're a software engineer with a deep interest in building software that is secure yet easy to use. By the way, interest in the shadowy computer underworld is a definite plus. Security engineers consult with product teams to secure our software, production infrastructure, website, desktop and mobile apps and our corporate infrastructure and devices.
- Computer Science (or similar) students that are currently pursuing a Bachelor's, Master's or Ph.D.
- If you have experience writing or shipping software as part of internships, personal projects, coding competitions or research and the work we do at Dropbox resonates with you, we'd love to learn more about you.
Dropbox is an equal opportunity employer. We are a welcoming place for everyone, and we do our best to make sure all people feel supported and connected at work. A big part of that effort is our support for members and allies of internal groups like Asians at Dropbox, BlackDropboxers, Latinx, Pridebox (LGBTQ), Vets at Dropbox, Women at Dropbox, ATX Diversity (based in Austin, Texas) and the Dropbox Empowerment Network (based in Dublin, Ireland).
Meet Some of Dropbox's Employees
Billing & Payments Platform
This team is responsible for building, scaling, and enhancing the infrastructure that drives Dropbox’s business. Global payment processing, building APIs for partners, and ensuring that Dropbox’s financial systems run smoothly are some of the team's main goals.
Back to top