Research Operations Manager
Dropbox is a leading global collaboration platform that's transforming the way people work together, from the smallest business to the largest enterprise. With more than 500 million registered users across more than 180 countries, our mission is to unleash the world's creative energy by designing a more enlightened way of working. Headquartered in San Francisco, CA, Dropbox has more than 12 offices around the world.
Our Research & Design team crafts delightful experiences that make people's lives easier. We're a close-knit, collaborative group, guided by a highly iterative user-centered design process. Combining research, data, and thoughtful critique, we're discovering needs and solving fundamental problems that impact work and life for millions of people around the world.
About Our Team
The Design Research team helps Dropbox see the world from our user's perspectives. The research we're doing aspires to make meaningful improvements in the lives of the individuals, teams, and companies who use our product every day to do their most important work. We employ a variety of methods to collect rich data that enable product and design teams to make products our customers love.
Research Operations partners with researchers across multiple product areas to strategize and execute on various recruiting proposals. We play an integral part in the research, helping kick-off projects and owning the full-cycle participant recruiting process. We are responsible for advising research on timelines and managing expectations, while keeping ethical protocols top-of-mind.
Our core objectives are to provide high quality research participants; create thoughtful, targeted and effective communication; and develop the operational infrastructure to support a growing research team.
Your Role and Impact
You'll lead a team of design research coordinators. You are passionate about empowering teams to create, share, and collaborate better together. You can see the uncertainties that slow teams down and help surface questions people didn't even know they had. You prioritize team health and productivity. You coach teams through challenges, unblock decision making, and provide clarity and direction. You sweat the details. You clear the path for researchers to research, and provide thoughtful and strategic decisions to ensure the right problems are being solved with the right solutions.
- Manage and coach a team of research coordinators. Attract and hire new talent
- Advocate and guide strategy and direction for research operations function
- Forecast and track research team headcount and expenses. Manage to budget
- Adapt participant recruiting processes and practices to the growing needs of the organization
- Experiment with new tools, processes, and techniques to improve the impact of user research
- Project manage cross-team initiatives that promote visibility of research and knowledge sharing across teams; e.g., launching research findings database, participant database
- Develop and maintain research team resources including training materials, best practices and commonly used resources
- Manage research team equipment, monitor usage, forecast needs (cameras, test devices, etc)
- Manage research lab spaces, forecast needs, train researchers on using space and technologies
- Ensure strong synchronization between Researchers and Recruiting Coordinators - prioritizing, unblocking, etc
- Ensure that all sourcing and messaging is done in compliance with company policies and that new policies are adopted as quickly as possible.
- Partner with IT, Finance, Legal, Procurement to onboard vendors as needed
- 5+ years UX-related project/program/operations management experience
- At least 1 year experience managing a team, including hiring and evaluating performance
- Experience working with UX designers, researchers, writers, engineers, and product managers
- Experience with research participant recruitment practices, e.g., planning and executing screeners, surveys, panels, qualitative research studies
- Experience with UX research tools, e.g., Qualtrics, Usertesting.com, DScout, Ethnio, Sharpr, etc
- Experience using online collaborative document/project management tools
- Experience creating/improving/adapting/socializing new business processes
- Extraordinary organizational/operational skills
- Methodical approach to project planning and change management
- Experience on-boarding and managing vendors
- Clear, compelling presentation and communication style
- Comfortable juggling a wide range of responsibilities at the same time
- A collaborative low-ego approach to working with other
Dropbox is an equal opportunity employer. We are a welcoming place for everyone, and we do our best to make sure all people feel supported and connected at work. A big part of that effort is our support for members and allies of internal groups like Asians at Dropbox, BlackDropboxers, Latinx, Pridebox (LGBTQ), Vets at Dropbox, Women at Dropbox, ATX Diversity (based in Austin, Texas) and the Dropbox Empowerment Network (based in Dublin, Ireland).
Meet Some of Dropbox's Employees
Billing & Payments Platform
This team is responsible for building, scaling, and enhancing the infrastructure that drives Dropbox’s business. Global payment processing, building APIs for partners, and ensuring that Dropbox’s financial systems run smoothly are some of the team's main goals.
Back to top