Datacenter Design Engineer (Electrical/Mechanical)
- Ashburn, VA
Dropbox is now a Virtual First company, which means work outside of an office will be the primary experience for all employees. The location listed on the job description is simply so our jobs get picked up by job boards as they require a specific location. Being Virtual First means, location is flexible, so please feel free to apply to any position regardless of the location listed. Final location will be determined, by teams and individuals as the hiring process unfolds.
Dropbox is the world's first smart workspace that helps people and teams focus on the work that matters. With more than 600 million registered users across 180 countries, we're on a mission to design a more enlightened way of working. Dropbox is headquartered in San Francisco, CA, and has 12 offices around the world.
Our Tech Operations team scales security and reliability for our fast growing user base. This includes managing our network, hardware, and data centers, as well as creating the layer from which all Dropbox experiences are built. As our user base and product family continues to grow, tech operations is responsible for strengthening our foundation.
Our Engineering team is working to simplify the way people work together. They're building a family of products that handle over a billion files a day for people around the world. With our broad mission and massive scale, there are countless opportunities to make an impact.
With the Datacenter Engineering team, you will be responsible for designing, building and optimizing the physical datacenters that Dropbox's core infrastructure resides in. The Datacenter Engineering team lives inside of a tactical physical infrastructure organization with interleaving dependencies. As a result, the Datacenter Engineering team is a highly-interdisciplinary group informed by core building science, but heavily influenced by a thorough understanding interconnectivity, hardware, and operations at Dropbox.
- Work with Capacity and Forecasting teams on physical resource consumption
- Perform engineering calculations, basis of design and drawing packages for new datacenter projects
- Scope, bid, and contract the implementation of new facilities
- Manage, QA/QC, and run project controls for ongoing projects
- Conceive, model and implement facility optimization projects within the serving environments
- Evaluate and test emerging technologies in datacenter building, controls and monitoring
- BS or BSE degree in a relevant engineering field, or RCDD certificate
- 5+ years of experience in datacenter design, construction, and optimization
- You have a theoretical and practical education of applied mechanical, electrical, and structured cabling systems in datacenters
- You have an understanding of server architecture highlighted with power delivery and heat rejection systems
- You have a preference towards networking and structured cabling
- You have basic exposure to datacenter economics, accounting and cost modeling
- Experience with Linux systems and programming, CLI, and shells is a plus
- Implementation knowledge of facility and server telemetry systems, sensoring, protocols, and data collection (ie: polling, aggregation, display, alarm, archive) is a plus
- AutoCAD / Revit drawing production required and 3D Modeling experience is preferred
- 100% company paid individual medical, dental, & vision insurance coverage
- 401k + company match
- Market competitive total compensation package
- Free Dropbox space for your friends and family
- Wellness Reimbursement
- Generous vacation policy
- 10 company paid holidays
- Volunteer time off
- Company sponsored tech talks (technology and other relevant professional topics)
Back to top