Video Journalist, WSJ Films
The Wall Street Journal is seeking a video journalist to produce and edit long-form video projects for WSJ Films, a unit within our global video team. The video journalist in this role will produce and edit different types of non-fiction programs, including digital videos, broadcast documentaries and streaming series. Top candidates will demonstrate relevant experience working on non-fiction programs across multiple platforms, including digital, linear and streaming, as well as impactful outcomes as a result of their research.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Researching potential stories and supporting projects currently in production
- Helping assess which ideas are best suited for short/feature/series
- Identifying unique coverage angles and previously untold narratives
- Preparing research briefs and contributing to written story and visual treatments
- Identifying potential interview subjects, conducting and summarizing pre-interviews
- Isolating best selections from interviews and field shoots, and editing clips as needed
- Working in the field, as occasionally needed, to produce interviews, record actualities and direct b-roll footage shoots
- Managing multiple projects in various stages of production
- Booking travel arrangements for all members of the production team, as needed
- Coordinating with the internal publishing team, as well as outside distributors
- Ensuring that all journalistic and legal standards are followed at all times
- Assembling raw media from vertié shoots, interviews, archival material, graphics into comprehensive documentaries for streaming/broadcast/WSJ platform
- Edit pitch/teasers for potential off platform partners
- Media management
- Project organization/archiving
- Brainstorming approaches for shoots with director/DP
- Serving as post supervisor/producer: communicating with post houses for color/audio/online workflows
- Supervising color/audio sessions/final delivery
- Ability to work late hours and weekends both as part of a regular weekend rotation and as news developments may warrant
- Completing additional duties as assigned
Key candidate requirements:
- At least five years' experience working on non-fiction videos, preferably at a top-tier news organization
- Experience writing text articles is a plus
- Familiarity with current camera setups, as well as best practices for lighting in the field
- Professional-level understanding of Adobe Suite, with a high level of expertise in Premiere and basic knowledge of After Effects, Photoshop and Illustrator
- Clear communicator with exceptional written and collaboration skills
All interested candidates should submit a cover letter clearly outlining how their skills and experience meet or exceed the key candidate requirements, along with links that represent the type of work described.
Dow Jones , Making Careers Newsworthy
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status. EEO/AA/M/F/Disabled/Vets .
Dow Jones is committed to providing reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities, in our job application and/or interview process. If you need assistance or accommodation in completing your application, due to a disability, please reach out to us at TalentResourceTeam@dowjones.com . Please put "Reasonable Accommodation" in the subject line.
Business Area: NEWS/WSJ
Job Category: News/Editorial Group
The Wall Street Journal is a global news organization that provides leading news, information, commentary and analysis. The Wall Street Journal engages readers across print, digital, mobile, social, and video. Building on its heritage as the preeminent source of global business and financial news, the Journal includes coverage of U.S. and world news, politics, arts, culture, lifestyle, sports, and health. It holds 36 Pulitzer Prizes for outstanding journalism. The Wall Street Journal is published by Dow Jones, a division of News Corp (NASDAQ: NWS, NWSA; ASX: NWS, NWSLV).
If you require assistance in completing the online application, please contact the Talent Management team for Application Help at TalentResourceTeam@dowjones.com
Job Req 14391
Back to top