Video Journalist, News & Analysis
The Wall Street Journal is seeking a video journalist to be based in Washington, D.C., as part of its quick-turn news and analysis unit.
Video journalists are responsible for producing topical and timely, news-focused videos, ranging in length from two to five minutes. Top candidates for this position will have a professional background in video journalism, demonstrate exceptional shooting and editing skills, and have experience with graphics. Those in the role juggle many tasks and should be excited about pitching, developing, researching and reporting stories, shooting and editing videos, and working collaboratively with WSJ's reporters and editors across a variety of coverage areas. Deadline pressure is a constant in our newsroom, so an ability to react quickly is essential, as is the ability to add depth and context to a story while bringing challenging topics to life visually.
Please note, this is not an entry-level position and it is not a position producing documentaries. Because this is a role focused on producing timely news and analysis coverage, candidates need to show successful executions of projects that have been done in just a few hours and stand out in the 24/7 information cycle.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Researching and producing timely news coverage and topical analysis on a daily basis
- Collaborating with editorial leaders in all coverage areas to ensure that The Journal's deep reporting and expert analysis is reflected in every video
- Coaching beat reporters and news editors in person and remotely to appear on camera or in voiceover
- Ensuring that all journalistic and legal standards are followed at all times
- Ability to work late hours and weekends as part of a regular rotation and as political events and news developments may warrant
- Completing additional duties as assigned
Key candidate requirements:
- At least three years of experience working in a daily news environment
- Demonstrated experience producing compelling business, tech, politics and general news videos under tight deadline constraints
- Knowledge of current events, U.S. politics and economics, as well as a nose for news
- Skilled with multiple camera setups, including but not limited to the Sony FS5, FS7, C100 and C300
- Adept with studio lighting setups
- Professional competency editing with Adobe Premiere
- Basic graphics experience utilizing After Effects, Photoshop and Illustrator
- Clear communicator with exceptional written and collaboration skills
All interested candidates should submit a cover letter clearly outlining how their skills and experience meet or exceed the key candidate requirements, along with links to five videos that represent the type of work described.
Dow Jones , Making Careers Newsworthy
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status. EEO/AA/M/F/Disabled/Vets .
Dow Jones is committed to providing reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities, in our job application and/or interview process. If you need assistance or accommodation in completing your application, due to a disability, please reach out to us at TalentResourceTeam@dowjones.com . Please put "Reasonable Accommodation" in the subject line.
Business Area: NEWS/WSJ
Job Category: News/Editorial Group
The Wall Street Journal is a global news organization that provides leading news, information, commentary and analysis. The Wall Street Journal engages readers across print, digital, mobile, social, and video. Building on its heritage as the preeminent source of global business and financial news, the Journal includes coverage of U.S. and world news, politics, arts, culture, lifestyle, sports, and health. It holds 38 Pulitzer Prizes for outstanding journalism. The Wall Street Journal is published by Dow Jones, a division of News Corp (NASDAQ: NWS, NWSA; ASX: NWS, NWSLV).
If you are a current employee at Dow Jones, do not apply here. Please go to the Career section on your Workday homepage and view "Find Jobs - Dow Jones." Thank you.
Req ID: 17803
Back to top