Summer 2019 Data Science Newsroom Internship at The Wall Street Journal
The Wall Street Journal is seeking a data science intern to work with our newsroom. The intern is a computational journalist who will work with the WSJ Lab, a multi-disciplinary team that supports the newsroom with experimentation and research. The intern will work on developing new approaches for storytelling and defining best practices for algorithmic accountability reporting.
This is a paid, full-time internship lasting 10 weeks.
Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Develop emerging story formats and explore AI-powered newsroom tools.
- Collaborate with colleagues from around the organization to identify high-impact experiments using machine learning.
- Write case studies highlighting best practices in algorithmic transparency to be shared across the newsroom.
- Help identify new data science methods worth exploring, and determine the processes and techniques by which we could use them for story development.
- Help create a program to educate newsroom stakeholders about data science and journalism.
Key Attributes, Knowledge and Experience:
- Academic background in computational journalism, computer science or data science.
- Knowledge of R and Python. Experience with machine learning and natural language processing using open source libraries including TensorFlow, Scikit Learn, SpaCy, NLTK is preferred.
- Excellent communication and writing skills.
- Diverse portfolio of experiments and journalism projects using emerging technology.
- Deep understanding of news media, digital journalism and content strategy.
Applications are due by Oct. 26. Please submit a resume and cover letter. Only finalists will be contacted.
Dow Jones , Making Careers Newsworthy
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status. EEO/AA/M/F/Disabled/Vets .
Dow Jones is committed to providing reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities, in our job application and/or interview process. If you need assistance or accommodation in completing your application, due to a disability, please reach out to us at TalentResourceTeam@dowjones.com . Please put "Reasonable Accommodation" in the subject line.
Business Area: NEWS/WSJ
The Wall Street Journal is a global news organization that provides leading news, information, commentary and analysis. The Wall Street Journal engages readers across print, digital, mobile, social, and video. Building on its heritage as the preeminent source of global business and financial news, the Journal includes coverage of U.S. and world news, politics, arts, culture, lifestyle, sports, and health. It holds 36 Pulitzer Prizes for outstanding journalism. The Wall Street Journal is published by Dow Jones, a division of News Corp (NASDAQ: NWS, NWSA; ASX: NWS, NWSLV).
If you require assistance in completing the online application, please contact the Talent Management team for Application Help at TalentResourceTeam@dowjones.com
Job Req 13932
Back to top