Strategic Account Manager (Johannesburg or London)
Strategic Account Manager – South-Africa and Sub-Saharan Africa
When you join Dow Jones, you become part of one of the most dynamic, creative and savvy news and information companies in the world. As a global leader in news and business intelligence, we’re newswires, websites, newspapers, apps, newsletters, databases, magazines, radio and television—including some of the widest-read and most-respected brands, like Factiva, The Wall Street Journal, and Barron’s. Our media inform the discussions and decisions that are vital to the world’s commerce, while our databases make the business world more transparent. We continually develop technology to transform information into insight and insight into prosperity. From 58 countries and in twenty five languages, we enlighten and inspire audiences with authoritative, differentiated and trusted content.
The Strategic Account Manager is responsible for retaining and growing the contract revenue their set of customers. The SAM will also initiate sales activity with new buying centers either independently, or working with Sales Specialists. Client relationships are built and maintained via telephone, email, and in-person meetings. An ability to develop strong business relationships in a phone-based and in person-based environment is crucial to the success of this role. The SAM is accountable for the development and implementation of sales strategies and best practices to achieve revenue objectives and targets.
What are my accountabilities?
- •* MEET NEW BUSINESS TARGETS: Generate new streams of Dow Jones revenue through sales of products and services which address customers’ business needs by completing market analysis and executing a plan to grow your territory by understanding the complete suite of Dow Jones products and successfully take them to market.
- RETENTION: Retain Dow Jones contract revenue in the assigned set of customers and ensure the Dow Jones products and services address customers’ business needs
- RELATIONSHIPS: Build strong relationships with Senior Level customer contacts in order to retain the business and look for expansion opportunities.
- RENEWALS: Develop and execute a plan to manage all account renewals, initiating communication with the client at the right time and fulfilling contractual obligations for providing account information to the client
- ACCOUNT MANAGEMENT: Responsible for all areas of account management, including the development of good account understanding, understanding clients’ businesses and resolving issues in a timely manner; understand competitor solutions the client is using and the client’s current and developing needs
- SALES REPORTING: Prepare accurate revenue forecasts each month for timely presentation to the Sales Director and Operations Manager.
- PROJECT MANAGEMENT: Organize and co-ordinate the efforts of internal resources necessary to achieve sales goals. These can include colleagues from Product, Marketing, Customer Service, and Editorial.
- TEAMWORK: Work on retention initiatives for selected customers with the extended sales team available
- PRODUCT KNOWLEDGE: Clearly express the value proposition and benefits of the Dow Jones products and solutions, and use this knowledge to help increase the value and adoption of our solutions by the client
- MANAGING ACCOUNT INFORMATION: Maintain accurate and appropriate client records within the global CRM system to provide timely management information.
- COMPETITIVE INTELLIGENCE: Stay informed of industry trends, competition and changing technology by utilizing Dow Jones tools and attending appropriate networking events.
- COST MANAGEMENT: Efficient budget management of T&E is required
What do you need from me?
- •* Proven experience and in depth understanding of managing accounts across Africa. Clients will from a variety of industry sectors including banking, insurance, mining and government.
- Knowledge of the African market with particular focus on South Africa.
- Extensive sales success within a B2B subscription environment within the publishing / data / business information industry.
- Strong results orientation, with the commitment and drive to achieve a new business goal in a demanding and competitive business environment
- Exceptional negotiation and closing skills to manage renewals from the SAM’s set of customers to a successful conclusion
- Ability to generate new business in untapped regions and in new African markets.
- Ability to prioritize tasks and customers, to ensure time is maximized for revenue-retaining activities and the most important customers receive an excellent level of account management
- Ability to adapt a communication style depending on audience, while maintaining a professional and credible demeanour.
- High level of initiative and self-motivation.
- Ability to maintain effectiveness when working closely with people of diverse cultures or backgrounds.
- Ability to work autonomously.
- Ability to take ownership of problems and coordinate appropriate internal resources to help solve customer issues effectively and efficiently.
- Good level of business awareness to help build credibility with the client, spot potential opportunities within a the Corporates space, and express the benefits of Dow Jones in the appropriate business context
- Degree level education is desirable
The role will require travel in the region.
How do you apply?
If the above position matches your experience and motivations then please submit a CV and covering letter detailing your suitability for the role, your current and required salary and on target commission.
Please note only candidates requested for interview will be contacted.
Dow Jones is a global provider of news and business information, delivering content to consumers and organizations around the world across multiple formats, including print, digital, mobile and live events. Dow Jones has produced unrivaled quality content for more than 125 years and today has one of the world’s largest news gathering operations globally. It produces leading publications and products including the flagship Wall Street Journal, America’s largest newspaper by paid circulation; Factiva, Barron’s, MarketWatch, Financial News, DJX, Dow Jones Risk & Compliance, Dow Jones Newswires, and Dow Jones VentureSource.
Requisition ID 2016-28291
Job Locations GBR – LONDON
Job Function Sales
Business Area CORPORATE SALES & MARKETING
Job Area1 Sales
Job Area2 Sales
Back to top