Sr. Project Manager, WSJ.COM
We are looking for an experienced and passionate Sr. Project Manager who wants to be part of a growing team where everyone has the opportunity to come up with new and creative ideas to help shape the future of our company by building game-changing software for both our world class newsroom as well as our large and attentive user base.
Our project managers play a critical role in all stages of the product life-cycle, so we look for people who welcome accountability, enjoy solving the hard problems and have the initiative to drive processes that ship high quality software while maintaining a creative and inspiring environment for everyone involved.
Ideally this candidate would be on the program management track, and want to grow from Sr. Project Manager to Program Manager.
- You will work closely with engineering, design and 2-3 product managers in order to support the day-to-day delivery of our WSJ.COM. You would be managing projects across three distinct product execution tracks, each with a dedicated development team: Curation, Front End Performance and Storytelling. Curation involves the WSJ.COM homepage, section fronts, navigation, crossword puzzles, membership hub, market data center, search. Storytelling involves the core article page, graphics and visual templates and storytelling experimentation with the newsroom. Front end performance involves continuously evolving our front end stack to be faster, more optimized and more performant.
- OKRs - Identify project dependencies, and mitigate risks including resource gaps by working with the PDE team to formalize plans, facilitate trade-off discussions, and triage issues ensuring the team is meeting OKR targets.
- You will represent the eyes and ears for the projects affecting the WSJ.COM platform -understanding dependencies and advocating for optimizations across the execution tracks.
- You will be involved in hands-on management of the WSJ.COM backlogs, using Agile and Scrum best practices to execute on the priorities set by the Product Managers. You will advise on how to iteratively approach medium and large projects, assist in writing and maintaining clear user stories, and help to prioritize the work for each sprint.
- You will be responsible for teaching, enhancing and enforcing the values and rules of Agile specifically leveraging the Scrum framework.
- Promote an iterative working style and self-organization across the teams
- Work closely and partner with the Product Managers to deliver high quality products and drive user satisfaction.
- Plan and facilitate the various Scrum meetings (daily scrum, sprint review, retrospective and planning), manage key milestones and critical path
- Convert requirements documentation, epics and user stories to requested work in Jira scoped, sized and organized for execution in partnership with QA and Engineering
- Track velocity as well as other delivery metrics to help best understand and broadcast our ability to execute against the plan
- Create status reports in the project as needed with a frequency and cadence defined by the Product Managers.
- Passionate about working as a bridge between Engineering, Product and Design, and have a depth of experience and comfort in supporting the translation of Product and Design requirements into accurately sized and clearly explicated Engineering tasks in partnership with the Engineering team.
- You have delivered quality web products and know well how to either build an Agile framework out of nothing, or jump into an existing one and make an immediate impact through enhancements.
- Experience balancing priorities from multiple product managers
- Experience working in a cross-team dependent Enterprise environment and ensuring approvals prior to launch from those teams in order to deliver to scope, on time.
- Experience reporting project status to upper management
- Comfort with various agile tracking tools (e.g. JIRA, Pivotal Tracker, etc) regardless of whether you've used them or not
- A knowledge of when rigor is required vs flexibility
- Budget and resource allocation management and forecasting
- Experience working with OKRs or KPIs desired, as our organization has shifted to an objectives and key results driven environment.
- An expressed desire to help build and sustain a top quality digital platform clearly worthy of the highest quality WSJ journalism it supports
Dow Jones , Making Careers Newsworthy
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status. EEO/AA/M/F/Disabled/Vets .
Dow Jones is committed to providing reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities, in our job application and/or interview process. If you need assistance or accommodation in completing your application, due to a disability, please reach out to us at TalentResourceTeam@dowjones.com . Please put "Reasonable Accommodation" in the subject line.
Business Area: TECHNOLOGY - ENTERPRISE & CUSTOMER
Job Category: IT Development Group
Dow Jones is a global provider of news and business information, delivering content to consumers and organizations around the world across multiple formats, including print, digital, mobile and live events. Dow Jones has produced unrivaled quality content for more than 125 years and today has one of the world's largest news gathering operations globally. It produces leading publications and products including the flagship Wall Street Journal, America's largest newspaper by paid circulation; Factiva, Barron's, MarketWatch, Financial News, DJX, Dow Jones Risk & Compliance, Dow Jones Newswires, and Dow Jones VentureSource.Dow Jones is a division of News Corp (NASDAQ: NWS, NWSA; ASX: NWS, NWSLV).
If you are a current employee at Dow Jones, do not apply here. Please go to the Career section on your Workday homepage and view "Find Jobs - Dow Jones." Thank you.
Req ID: 15130
Back to top