Spring 2017 Heat Street Engagement Internship
About Dow Jones:
Dow Jones is a global provider of news and business information, delivering content to consumers and organizations around the world across multiple formats, including print, digital, mobile and live events. Dow Jones has produced unrivaled quality content for more than 130 years and today has one of the world's largest newsgathering operations globally. It produces leading publications and products including the flagship Wall Street Journal, America's largest newspaper by paid circulation; Factiva, Barron's, MarketWatch, Financial News, DJX, Dow Jones Risk & Compliance, Dow Jones Newswires, and Dow Jones VentureSource.Dow Jones is a division of News Corp (NASDAQ: NWS, NWSA; ASX: NWS, NWSLV).
Engagement Intern, Heat Street
About Heat Street: We're an irreverent but topical politics and culture site owned by Dow Jones that launched in March 2016 and now has a global audience of 7.5 million monthly uniques. Our motto is "No Safe Spaces."
This position will assist the Audience Development lead with managing and expanding the social presence of Heat Street. The ideal candidate is a writer with interest in learning more about social, analytics and outreach. You love owning the full life cycle of creating a story that reaches and strikes a chord with the right audiences: identifying a buzzy topic, creating a piece that engages, pitching the piece to relevant online communities and analyzing data to understand what worked and what didn't.
- Maintain social accounts daily, primarily on Facebook and Twitter
- Create social platform-specific content, including live video, images and articles
- Lead overall social strategy across platforms, in conjunction with audience development
- Keep the team abreast of social trends and best practices
- Analyze analytics (Omniture, Parse.ly, etc.) to inform social strategy, as well as advise on editorial strategies
- Optimize editorial content and headlines to maximize audience interaction
- Engage Heat Street's audience through commenting/discussions, chats, polls/quizzes, and other interactive elements
- Develop and maintain content partnerships with other sites and communities in order to drive traffic
- Lead social outreach efforts in conjunction with the editorial calendar
Skills/background we're looking for:
- You're a news junky
- Social-specific writing abilities; ability to translate in-depth stories into accurate, shareable social posts and headlines
- Knowledge of analytics platforms such as Omniture, Chartbeat, Parse.ly, Facebook Analytics, etc.
- Ability to synthesize and act on audience usage and engagement data
- Visual media experience (photography, videography) a plus, as are visual media editing skills
Equal Opportunity Employer:
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status. EEO/AA/M/F/Disabled/Vets
Requisition ID 2017-29151
Job Locations USA - NY-NEW YORK
Job Function Internships
Business Area DJMG OFFICE
Job Area1 News
Job Area2 ..
Meet Some of Dow Jones's Employees
News Editor, WSJ
Geoff manages the Money Investing Section of the WSJ, coordinating visual, graphical, and copy content published in print and online to present readers with the best finance market stories.
Back to top