Software EngineerWe are looking for creative and passionate web developers who want to be part of a growing consumer technology team where everyone has the opportunity to come up with new ideas and to shape the future of our company in building game-changing software. Our developers play a critical role in all stages of the creative and engineering process, so we look for people who are creative, crave ownership, enjoy solving the hard problems and have the initiative to experiment with new technologies.For this coveted role, you will be a member of a small cross-functional team helping to deliver world class engineering practices across WSJ.com and other Dow Jones products. As part of this effort, you will be helping us redefine the storytelling experience across one of the largest media sites on the web. You will also be a part of the larger core web engineering team responsible for the entire WSJ website.You will be expected to be comfortable in the drivers seat as a thought leader within a rapidly growing engineering team. You will introduce new ideas and challenge status quo while being able to maintain a collaborative environment.Responsibilities:
- As part of a cross-functional agile software team, you will design, implement, and maintain our web applications in a highly collaborative environment
- Discover, research, select, configure and deploy new technologies
- Share a passion for design and technology
- Continuously innovate and strategize to provide the best online experience.
- Participate in discussions about technology, design, UX, infrastructure and consider the pros/cons of a technology choice based on business value, scalability, maintainability and project delivery performance
- Contribute to and evangelize corporate-wide standards across Dow Jones Engineering teams.
- Analyze complex problems, create reports and generate potential solutions for software, systems and processes.
- Work closely with product, design, and engineering to deliver on product objectives.
- Interface with Product Owners and Technology Program Managers to ensure ideas are taken from concept to design to plan to deployment.
- Support Dow Jones technical cultural values and are capable of driving toward solutions independently, seeking feedback when appropriate
- Maintain and share knowledge in emerging technologies and tools in the industry
- Being able to prioritize and manage work, adhering to critical project timelines in a fast-paced environment
Skills & Experience :
- 2 years total experience in Software Engineering (academic, training, and/or work experience acceptable)
- Excellent written and verbal communications
- Proven ability to analyze, decompose and estimate effort associated with various technical solutions
- Advanced problem solving skills
- Working knowledge of web based technologies with a combination of the following: Node.js, React, JSON, NoSQL, SQL
- Fluency in Node.js
- Advanced CSS knowledge - Grid, Flexbox, etc.
- Experience with Webpack
- Direct experience with deploying production systems in AWS or other cloud environment
- Exposure to Docker, AWS or other cloud or container based application deployment a plus
- Experience with NoSQL - S3, Redis, Memcached, BigQuery, ElastiCache, ORM
- Knowledge of ES6
- Experience developing software using Agile Methodologies
- Knowledge of basic design and UX principles
Dow Jones , Making Careers Newsworthy
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status. EEO/AA/M/F/Disabled/Vets .
Dow Jones is committed to providing reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities, in our job application and/or interview process. If you need assistance or accommodation in completing your application, due to a disability, please reach out to us at TalentResourceTeam@dowjones.com . Please put "Reasonable Accommodation" in the subject line.
Business Area: TECHNOLOGY - PROD & ENG
Dow Jones is a global provider of news and business information, delivering content to consumers and organizations around the world across multiple formats, including print, digital, mobile and live events. Dow Jones has produced unrivaled quality content for more than 125 years and today has one of the world's largest news gathering operations globally. It produces leading publications and products including the flagship Wall Street Journal, America's largest newspaper by paid circulation; Factiva, Barron's, MarketWatch, Financial News, DJX, Dow Jones Risk & Compliance, Dow Jones Newswires, and Dow Jones VentureSource.Dow Jones is a division of News Corp (NASDAQ: NWS, NWSA; ASX: NWS, NWSLV).
If you require assistance in completing the online application, please contact the Talent Management team for Application Help at TalentResourceTeam@dowjones.com
Meet Some of Dow Jones's Employees
Product Team Head, The Wall Street Journal
Katharina supervises digital products for The Wall Street Journal. She leads a team of product managers, and together, they set goals and roadmaps for projects to improve the company’s apps, website, and off-platform experiences.
Back to top