Senior Software Engineer, DevOps
We are looking for a Software Engineer for the Dow Jones Engineering Productivity team, a small group of developers working on strategic projects across the full suite of Dow Jones products. The candidate will work alongside other cloud and application engineers to help maintain a deployment and management strategy primarily in Amazon cloud, as well as help in creating and maintaining an automation framework around the software development lifecycle. Strong scripting and/or software development skills are essential. In this position, you will work to understand, define, and promote the software development process, and craft an operational environment that increases the elasticity of our cloud as well as the efficiency of our developers. You will be part of a recently established tech team in Barcelona, and you will be the reference point for this role in our timezone.
DowJones is part of News Corp, that among others includes also The Wall Street Journal, MarketWatch and Barron's.
It brings together world-leading data, media, membership and intelligence solutions to power the most ambitious companies and professionals, offering different kinds of products to achieve it:
Factiva, a powerful research platform that offers a collection of global news and data integrated with advanced feeds and APIs;
Risk and Compliance, a global leader tool in data intelligence for anti-money laundering, anti-corruption, economic sanctions and third-party data and commercial risk;
Newswires, a market-moving, trusted news tool to get exclusive insights and rich data sets for financial firms, professionals and investors;
DNA Developer Platform, to unlock industry-leading data, news and analytics for your enterprise.
- Solving problems using a software development mindset.
- Candidate works on deployment strategies and automation for cloud native applications.
- Support automated build pipeline, continuous integration, continuous deployment, and test automation frameworks with tools such as Git, Jenkins, Chef, Terraform, Docker, and Istio.
- Develops automation using shell scripting, Linux, Perl, Python, and Packer.
- Works on implementing application monitoring and logging strategies using tools like New Relic and Splunk.
- Assist building tools and services from scratch to fill the existing technology gaps.
- Works on troubleshooting application integration issues with development teams.
- Get requirements and facilitates infrastructure changes like FW rules, DNS, and load-balancers.
- Understands best practices for code promotion across the various environments. (builds, approvals, release) - understands SDLC and Agile/Iterative practices
Skills & Experience
- Software programming experience with any of these languages (Node.js, Python, Ruby, Java or .net)
- Possesses a solid understanding of modern web application architecture, TCP/IP, HTTP, and complex cloud network and security topologies
- Hands-on experience with administering Linux systems.
- Scripting experience with Shell, Python, or Ruby.
- Experience with AWS services such as EC2, VPC, RDS, CloudWatch, CloudFront, Route53, etc.
- Familiarity with SQL and relational databases (PostgreSQL, MySQL) and NoSQL databases (MongoDB, Redis)
- Knowledge of monitoring, logging and management tools or services that integrate with AWS.
- Ability to use a wide variety of open source technologies and cloud services.
- Willingness to learn and build new tools from scratch.
What we're looking for in a candidate:
Passion about technology and the solutions we are designing.
Communication that is articulate, clear and concise in regular conversation with your team and the wider stakeholder groups.
Attention to detail and focused on the little things that make a difference.
Delivery focus; pragmatic and driven to get solutions live.
A proactive attitude that shows you are a self-starter who seeks out opportunities for yourself and your team.
Awareness of industry trends, challenges, and best practices.
A positive attitude generating enthusiasm among team members.
Awareness of, and the ability to manage business and technology expectations.
Dow Jones , Making Careers Newsworthy
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status. EEO/AA/M/F/Disabled/Vets .
Dow Jones is committed to providing reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities, in our job application and/or interview process. If you need assistance or accommodation in completing your application, due to a disability, please reach out to us at TalentResourceTeam@dowjones.com . Please put "Reasonable Accommodation" in the subject line.
Business Area: TECHNOLOGY - PRODUCT DEVELOPMENT
Job Category: IT Development Group
Since 1882, Dow Jones has been finding new ways to bring information to the world's top business entities. Beginning as a niche news agency in an obscure Wall Street basement, Dow Jones has grown to be a worldwide news and information powerhouse, with prestigious brands including The Wall Street Journal, Dow Jones Newswires, Factiva, Barron's, MarketWatch and Financial News.
This longevity and success is due to a relentless pursuit of accuracy, depth and innovation, enhanced by the wisdom of past experience and a solid grasp on the future ahead. More than its individual brands, Dow Jones is a modern gateway to intelligence, with innovative technology, advanced data feeds, integrated solutions, expert research, award-winning journalism and customizable apps and delivery systems to bring the information that matters most to customers, when and where they need it, every day.
If you are a current employee at Dow Jones, do not apply here. Please go to the Career section on your Workday homepage and view "Find Jobs - Dow Jones." Thank you.
Req ID: 14616
Back to top