Returnship - Data Strategy
What is a Returnship?
A Returnship is an opportunity for professionals who have not been in the workforce for at least two years due to child-care, family care, and other life events, to transition back into a professional setting. Participants of the Returnship will go through a 3 month paid program to gain experience back in the workforce. The Returnship program will run from September 5th, 2018 to November 28th, 2018.
Who Is Eligible?
This program would be open to anyone who has been out of the workforce for two or more years and are ready to return. This includes:
- Parents returning to workforce
- Long term caregivers for sick or elderly family who are returning to work
- Long term unemployed
Returnship - Data Strategy
Data is our compass. We let data, hard facts, and numbers drive our strategy, our product development, and our way forward.
Here's how we work: Our Data Strategy team collects and integrates our own proprietary data and third party licensed content - we process and integrate millions of articles a day from more than 33,000 news and business sources from nearly 200 countries in 26 languages, while also providing equity exchange data from 49 countries and over 80,000 listed instruments.
During this 3 month returnship based in Princeton, NJ you will work on a variety of projects and tasks assigned by and under the direction of managers in the Data Strategy organization. Among the projects our Data Strategy interns might work on in 2018 are the following:
- Projects to help ensure the smooth passage and timely delivery of content from providers ranging from The Wall Street Journal to social media sources.
- Research related to customized reports and newsletters from online news content and publicly available records.
- Content enrichment projects related to a variety of automated and rules-based systems used to categorize Dow Jones content.
- Testing the accuracy and completeness of Dow Jones data related to companies, executives and financial markets.
- Compiling reports for Dow Jones Due Diligence on companies and individuals to identify legal, regulatory and reputational issues.
- Building and enhancing content for Dow Jones Risk and Compliance in areas including anti-money laundering, anti-corruption and economic sanctions.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience Required:
- Solid research skills
- Enjoys working with news and information, without necessarily the desire to write the news
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and Google applications
- Meticulous attention to detail
- Exceptional verbal and written communication
- In addition to English, other languages are a plus as you'll deal with Data Strategy team members around the globe including Barcelona, London, Singapore and Shanghai (sorry, no travel required)
- Cover letter
- 250-500 words telling us how you believe data, hard facts, and numbers influence the world
Dow Jones , Making Careers Newsworthy
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status. EEO/AA/M/F/Disabled/Vets .
Dow Jones is committed to providing reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities, in our job application and/or interview process. If you need assistance or accommodation in completing your application, due to a disability, please reach out to us at TalentResourceTeam@dowjones.com . Please put "Reasonable Accommodation" in the subject line.
Business Area: PEOPLE
Dow Jones is a global provider of news and business information, delivering content to consumers and organizations around the world across multiple formats, including print, digital, mobile and live events. Dow Jones has produced unrivaled quality content for more than 125 years and today has one of the world's largest news gathering operations globally. It produces leading publications and products including the flagship Wall Street Journal, America's largest newspaper by paid circulation; Factiva, Barron's, MarketWatch, Financial News, DJX, Dow Jones Risk & Compliance, Dow Jones Newswires, and Dow Jones VentureSource.Dow Jones is a division of News Corp (NASDAQ: NWS, NWSA; ASX: NWS, NWSLV).
If you require assistance in completing the online application, please contact the Talent Management team for Application Help at TalentResourceTeam@dowjones.com
Job Req 11496
Meet Some of Dow Jones's Employees
Product Team Head, The Wall Street Journal
Katharina supervises digital products for The Wall Street Journal. She leads a team of product managers, and together, they set goals and roadmaps for projects to improve the company’s apps, website, and off-platform experiences.
Back to top