The role of the Research Editor is to support the Manager, Sanctions and Other Official Lists, in implementing and maintaining the Special Lists program for Dow Jones Risk & Compliance Watchlist and Dow Jones Risk & Compliance Sanction Alert. Dow Jones Watchlist is a global reference almanac of Politically Exposed Persons (PEPs) and sanctioned entities/individuals, their relatives and close associates. DJ Sanction Alert is a sanctions-specific product created specifically for the purpose of helping banks with their sanctions screening.
The Research Editor's role is to research, record and update details relating to individuals and entities listed on sanctions and other official lists ("Special Lists") issued by government bodies and regulators around the world, for example, the Office of Foreign Assets Control in the US, national law enforcement bodies or securities regulators.
Special Lists records are keys to ensuring the viability of Dow Jones' Risk & Compliance products on a competitive market. As such, it is vital that updates are processed quickly, accurately and while adhering to our guidelines. The Research Editor will contribute to the daily monitoring of sources and the processing of updates in order to ensure that they are available in a timely manner.
Special Lists content has expanded significantly over the past years and continues to do so. The Research Editor will support the Special Lists team in processing the addition of new lists and therefore must be proficient at analyzing and processing large volumes of data.
The Research Editor is responsible for verifying the accuracy of the material he/she adds to the database and for performing regular checks on Special Lists records. The Research Editor will also support the Manager, Sanctions and Other Official Lists, in identifying and dealing with quality issues and responding to client/sales queries. A keen eye for detail is therefore vital.
- Locate, record and quality check information on individuals and entities cited on Special Lists as part of the Special Lists program, in line with the Manager's requirements and the group's market-driven targets.
- Carry out systematic and exhaustive searches on Dow Jones Factiva products and publicly available sources to gather all available information on blacklisted individuals and entities.
- As far as possible and following established procedures, check the accuracy of information before entering it on the database.
- Enter information onto the database using the editorial application system.
- Apply classification tags that enable extraction of relational groups.
- Proof read and check own and other people's entries as part of the daily research requirement.
- Operate tracking systems to capture Special List changes.
- Write Due Diligence reports as and when required on an ad-hoc basis.
- Fluency in both written and spoken English. Professional-level fluency in the following language is also essential: Russian. Any additional language skills are an advantage
- Web searching / Web scraping Skills
- Excellent keyboard skills and advanced knowledge of Excel
- Knowledge of Pivot tables, Macros/VBA programming will be an advantage.
- Familiarity with SQL and/or HTML will be an advantage.
- Ability to handle large volumes of information.
- Ability to work to deadlines
- Excellent proof reading skills and eye for detail
- Ability to identify wholly with Dow Jones' service obligations to its clients
- Strong knowledge of (and interest in) international affairs
- Good planning and organization skills
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Ability to accept feedback as a learning opportunity
- Ability to build and maintain good working relationships
- Understanding of the workings of Sanctions Lists will be a significant advantage
- Education to degree level
Dow Jones is a global provider of news and business information, delivering content to consumers and organizations around the world across multiple formats, including print, digital, mobile and live events. Dow Jones has produced unrivaled quality content for more than 125 years and today has one of the world's largest news gathering operations globally. It produces leading publications and products including the flagship Wall Street Journal, America's largest newspaper by paid circulation; Factiva, Barron's, MarketWatch, Financial News, DJX, Dow Jones Risk & Compliance, Dow Jones Newswires, and Dow Jones VentureSource.Dow Jones is a division of News Corp (NASDAQ: NWS, NWSA; ASX: NWS, NWSLV).
Equal Opportunity Employer:
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status. EEO/AA/M/F/Disabled/Vets
Requisition ID 2017-30349
Job Locations USA-NJ-PRINCETON
Job Function Data/Content
Business Area DATA STRATEGY
Job Area1 Research & Data Science
Job Area2 ..
Meet Some of Dow Jones's Employees
News Editor, WSJ
Geoff manages the Money Investing Section of the WSJ, coordinating visual, graphical, and copy content published in print and online to present readers with the best finance market stories.
Back to top