Dow Jones & Company is currently seeking an entry-level Research Associate to join our Private Markets group in the San Francisco office. We are looking for an intelligent, positive, and responsible team player with meticulous attention to detail, strong communication skills, and high initiative. This candidate should be able to handle multiple tasks simultaneously, enjoys the challenge of piecing together information from various sources, and utilizes outstanding critical thinking skills to constantly improve the process.
- Effectively and professionally contact/interview company CEO’s, CFO’s, and Managing Partners to verify and update confidential company financing data and other proprietary information.
- Will spend a large part of the day making telephone calls to companies and inputting data into a research tool.
- Master our in-house handbook and style guidelines quickly, and feel comfortable applying these rules to the databases for quality and consistency.
- Perform original research to input or update data in company records. Use various sources including Dow Jones databases and publications, Internet research, surveys, primary government documents such as SEC filings, and business journals.
- Learn the global IPO process and interpret financing details from regulatory filings.
- Learn about the venture capital and private equity life cycle, along with the mechanisms of the private capital markets.
- Develop Internet search skills and learn to create search queries.
- Work under tight deadlines in a goal-oriented environment.
- Show flexibility to be a team player and collaborate on other projects as needed.
Education and experience : Four-year college degree required; liberal arts or business-related major preferred. Experience working on databases or publications is a plus.
Phone Skills: Comfortable to speak effectively and professionally over the phone, previous phone experience is a plus.
Language fluency: Excellent written and spoken English is a necessity; skills in proofreading or copy editing. Foreign language skills are also a plus.
Sharp attention to detail: We are looking for the type of person who can skim a newspaper or spreadsheet and rapidly spot the errors that others failed to catch. At the same time, a sense of perspective is needed to see the bigger picture.
Computer skills: Experience in a PC/Windows environment primarily using Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint helpful, and experience with Internet research preferred. Must be able to demonstrate a general comfort with computers and ability to learn quickly.
Industry knowledge: General knowledge about economics and the financial markets in general, and the venture capital industry in particular, is helpful but not necessary. A broad interest in learning more about these topics, as well as a fascination with high-tech entrepreneurial startups, is essential.
Dow Jones is a global provider of news and business information, delivering content to consumers and organizations around the world across multiple formats, including print, digital, mobile and live events. Dow Jones has produced unrivaled quality content for more than 125 years and today has one of the world’s largest news gathering operations globally. It produces leading publications and products including the flagship Wall Street Journal, America’s largest newspaper by paid circulation; Factiva, Barron’s, MarketWatch, Financial News, DJX, Dow Jones Risk & Compliance, Dow Jones Newswires, and Dow Jones VentureSource.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status. EEO/AA/M/F/Disabled/Vets
Requisition ID 2016-28518
Job Locations USA – CA-SAN FRANCISCO
Job Function Data/Content
Business Area DATA STRATEGY
Job Area1 Professional Information Business
Job Area2 ..
Back to top