Professional Products Editor
The Professional Products Editor will be content chief and lead newsroom strategist for our suite of web-based and newsletter products and services on topics of particular interest to business and financial professionals. He or she will develop a deep understanding of these audiences to help identify opportunities to serve professionals and grow products in new ways.
- Oversee and edit our array of specialty products, ensuring the highest standards.
- Ensure the content our professional products teams produce is indispensable to the daily routine and highly specialized needs of business and financial professionals, and other targeted groups.
- Working with other editors and audience insight team, conduct rigorous evaluation of specialized professional products to ensure content aligns with needs of subscribers and potential new readers.
- Work with other parts of Dow Jones, including the commercial Customer and Data Strategy groups, Risk & Compliance and Factiva and other parts of Dow Jones to identify new products and content -- news coverage, analysis, data sets, tools -- that would be valuable to this audience and could grow subscriptions. Also be aggressive in evaluating existing products.
- Work closely with conferences group to develop and grow events that address the unique needs of business and financial professional subscribers.
- Oversee several teams of reporters and editors that produce all WSJ Pro content and other verticals. Ensure that they are producing high-value, unique content, that their work is coordinated as needed and that resources are allocated appropriately.
- Ensure that journalists in the broader newsroom are aware of their responsibilities and opportunities to contribute content to specialized products.
- Set and communicate clear priorities for the Pro journalists responding to and managing initiatives launched with other senior editors and commercial departments.
- Meet regularly with subscribers of our professional products and potential subscribers to ensure our services meet their needs and that we understand potential gaps in the market
- Deep understanding of the unique content needs of financial and business professionals, and other specialty audiences.
- Experience managing, leading and inspiring large, multi-disciplined group of journalists. Must also be able to positively influence outcomes among people who aren't direct reports.
- Strong communication skills.
- Proven ability to work across departments, galvanize and achieve results.
- Strategic and creative thinking.
- Understanding of audience and audience-focused products.
Position in hierarchy / reporting lines
- Reports to Head of Professional
- Manages editors who run WSJ Pro and other verticals.
- Manages data/graphics editors and production team
Additional major internal working relationships
- Works closely with professional product managers on business team
- Works closely with audience insight team
- Works closely with Data Strategy Team and other content producers throughout Dow Jones
Major internal working relationships
- Very closely working with Analytics & Audience team, Digital Editor, Tech & Product , Chief Video/Audio Editor, Chief Visuals Editor, and corporate DJ Innovation, Sales and Membership teams
The Wall Street Journal is a global news organization that provides leading news, information, commentary and analysis. The Wall Street Journal engages readers across print, digital, mobile, social, and video. Building on its heritage as the preeminent source of global business and financial news, the Journal includes coverage of U.S. and world news, politics, arts, culture, lifestyle, sports, and health. It holds 36 Pulitzer Prizes for outstanding journalism. The Wall Street Journal is published by Dow Jones, a division of News Corp (NASDAQ: NWS, NWSA; ASX: NWS, NWSLV).
Equal Opportunity Employer:
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status. EEO/AA/M/F/Disabled/Vets
Requisition ID 2017-30091
Job Locations USA-NY-NEW YORK
Job Function News/Editorial
Business Area NEWS/WSJ
Job Area1 News
Job Area2 ..
Meet Some of Dow Jones's Employees
News Editor, WSJ
Geoff manages the Money Investing Section of the WSJ, coordinating visual, graphical, and copy content published in print and online to present readers with the best finance market stories.
Back to top