Under the supervision of the Press/Mail Foreman, a production assistant is expected to become competent in all aspects of the reelroom, mailroom, and plateroom operations, and other, specific duties in the pressroom. Reelroom duties include roll handling, roll preparation, paster make-up, reel stand operation, tension system settings, web leading and the sorting and weighing of waste newsprint.
Mailroom duties include:
- List preparation
- MCS programming
- Operation of labeling equipment, stackers, bundle strapping and wrapping machines, and conveyors.
- Also responsible for error bundle correction and proper dispatching of printed copies. Pressroom duties include web leading; cleaning of blankets, rollers, press parts and systems; checking, spotting, mounting, and removing plates. Plateroom duties include:
- The operation of PC-based imaging and press proof software applications
- Imaging and processing plates and verifying registration
- Checking plates to ensure both are free of defects as well as verifying printed copies for accuracy and quality
- Communicating with and monitoring pre-press communications via the orderwire for critical run time information and relaying information to management
- Operation of production information management system software (PDIMS) to record nightly run time data, such as film and plate lockup times, as well as tracking consumables
- Assistance with cleaning and scheduled preventative maintenance of equipment and general housekeeping.
Transportation Work Includes:
- Using various printing devices to print reports, top wraps, and labels and creating circulation reports to distribute via hard copy and electronically.
- Preparation of postal reports.
- Additional duties may be assigned from time to time.
- Requires lifting, standing, bending, and physical activity throughout shift.
Dow Jones is a global provider of news and business information, delivering content to consumers and organizations around the world across multiple formats, including print, digital, mobile and live events. Dow Jones has produced unrivaled quality content for more than 125 years and today has one of the world’s largest news gathering operations globally. It produces leading publications and products including the flagship Wall Street Journal, America’s largest newspaper by paid circulation; Factiva, Barron’s, MarketWatch, Financial News, DJX, Dow Jones Risk & Compliance, Dow Jones Newswires, and Dow Jones VentureSource.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status. EEO/AA/M/F/Disabled/Vets
Requisition ID 2015-27119
Job Locations USA – MD-SILVER SPRING
Job Function Production
Business Area OPERATIONS
Job Area1 Product & Operations
Job Area2 ..
Back to top