Principal Software Engineer
This Principal Software Engineer is responsible for the technology behind the Commerce Platform. The person will work with the architect to understand the architecture of the system and perform detailed design, collaborate with potential users (development leads), perform development for the new platform, support testing and, eventually, production rollout. Embrace and Execute on DJ's practices such as API first strategy, agile, CI/CD.
- Defines and implements application architecture models and programming standards with direction setting support.
- Able to identify areas of strategic technical debt and provide cost/benefit analysis for eliminating this debt and suggested timelines for how to prioritize it
- Introduces new technologies which will make the team and its output more efficient. This should include but not limited to Cross Knowledge Training
- Should be able to dissect a set of business requirements and translating them into technical requirements as well as identifying the places or technologies critical to making the projects efficient and successful.
- Should own and promote technologies and intimately know requirements to make multiple projects successful. This should include roadmaps, technical discussions and decisions.
- Document infrastructure and design decisions along with being able to explain those decisions both to business and tech owners. Displays Ownership of projects
- Understands and practices agile software development and management
- Experience designing, developing and debugging applications which are distributed & asynchronous
- Experience designing transactional systems & workflow processing frameworks
- Experience with Java, Spring, Hibernate is required
- Experience in Microservice architectures & its best practises
- Experience with AWS is desired
- Experience in working with Linux
- Experience in Java performance monitoring / tuning tools
- Strong understanding of software best-practices as it applies integration services and REST API development
- Strong understanding of Information Security best practices (Preferably OWASP), and design security into application
- Experience with Agile Development methodologies (SCRUM)
- Understanding of service oriented architecture & BPMN 2.0 workflows
- Strong written and verbal communication skills to be able to work across tech teams
- A self-starter that is able to collaborate actively with others in a cross-functional team
Your Ideal Background:
- Played a major role in the design and development of low latency, high throughput & horizontally scalable systems
- Expertise in Java, Spring, Hibernate
- Cloud deployment environments - AWS, GCP or similar. Container based application deployment - Docker or equivalent
- Willing and able to work with DevOps team and contribute to CI/CD and cloud scripting
- 5+ years of development experience across the following:
- Java, Spring, Hibernate, REST, JSON, APIs
- Designing systems that rely on asynchronous reliable messaging
- Designing and implementing high volume, low latency applications
- Use of both open-source application servers and embedded HTTP/S server technologies
Dow Jones , Making Careers Newsworthy
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status. EEO/AA/M/F/Disabled/Vets .
Dow Jones is committed to providing reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities, in our job application and/or interview process. If you need assistance or accommodation in completing your application, due to a disability, please reach out to us at TalentResourceTeam@dowjones.com . Please put "Reasonable Accommodation" in the subject line.
Business Area: TECHNOLOGY - PRODUCT DEVELOPMENT
Job Category: IT Development Group
Dow Jones is a global provider of news and business information, delivering content to consumers and organizations around the world across multiple formats, including print, digital, mobile and live events. Dow Jones has produced unrivaled quality content for more than 125 years and today has one of the world's largest news gathering operations globally. It produces leading publications and products including the flagship Wall Street Journal, America's largest newspaper by paid circulation; Factiva, Barron's, MarketWatch, Financial News, DJX, Dow Jones Risk & Compliance, Dow Jones Newswires, and Dow Jones VentureSource.Dow Jones is a division of News Corp (NASDAQ: NWS, NWSA; ASX: NWS, NWSLV).
If you are a current employee at Dow Jones, do not apply here. Please go to the Career section on your Workday homepage and view "Find Jobs - Dow Jones." Thank you.
Req ID: 17951
Back to top