Under the supervision of the Foreman and/or Assistant Foreman, is expected to become competent in all aspects of the reel room operation, mail room and plate room procedures, and specific duties in the
press room. Assist with the cleaning and scheduled preventative maintenance of equipment and general housekeeping of work areas. Requires lifting, standing, bending, and physical activity throughout the shift. This position provides relief to fully skilled journeymen, to perform critical tasks and to prepare the Press/Mail Assistant to assume expanded duties when positions become available.
Reel Room duties include:
- Reel Room duties include roll handling, roll preparation, paster make-up, reel stand operation, web leading, tension setting, sorting and weighing waste newsprint, etc.
Mail Room duties include:
- Mail Room duties include list preparation, MCS programming, operating labeling equipment, stackers, bundle strapping and wrapping machines and conveyors. This also includes error bundle correction and proper dispatching of copies.
Plate Room duties include:
- The operation of PC-based imaging and press proof software applications.
- Imaging and processing plates and verifying registration. Checking plates to ensure both are free of defects as well as verifying printed copies for accuracy and quality.
- Communicating with and monitoring pre-press communications via the order wire for critical run time information and relaying information to management.
- Operation of production information management system software (PDIMS) to record nightly run time
- data such as film and plate lock-up times as well as tracking consumables.
Press Room duties include:
- Web leading, cleaning of blankets, rollers, press parts and systems; checking, spotting, mounting and removing plates; handling ink and fountain solutions. Additional duties may be assigned from time to time.
Although Press/Mail Assistants are not generally required to set up and run the folder, set ink, mark up
or lay out the press run, perform major maintenance, or change blankets, the Press/Mail Assistant is
encouraged to learn as much as possible by observing, asking questions and performing as many
functions as practical with proper supervision from the Foreman, Assistant Foreman or Journeymen.
Dow Jones , Making Careers Newsworthy
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status. EEO/AA/M/F/Disabled/Vets .
Dow Jones is committed to providing reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities, in our job application and/or interview process. If you need assistance or accommodation in completing your application, due to a disability, please reach out to us at TalentResourceTeam@dowjones.com . Please put "Reasonable Accommodation" in the subject line.
Business Area: PRINT & ENT SVCS - PRINT SERVICES
Job Category: Production Group
Dow Jones is a global provider of news and business information, delivering content to consumers and organizations around the world across multiple formats, including print, digital, mobile and live events. Dow Jones has produced unrivaled quality content for more than 125 years and today has one of the world's largest news gathering operations globally. It produces leading publications and products including the flagship Wall Street Journal, America's largest newspaper by paid circulation; Factiva, Barron's, MarketWatch, Financial News, DJX, Dow Jones Risk & Compliance, Dow Jones Newswires, and Dow Jones VentureSource.Dow Jones is a division of News Corp (NASDAQ: NWS, NWSA; ASX: NWS, NWSLV).
If you are a current employee at Dow Jones, do not apply here. Please go to the Career section on your Workday homepage and view "Find Jobs - Dow Jones." Thank you.
Req ID: 16088
Back to top