Offline Direct Marketing Manager
Where am I based?
What do we do?
Dow Jones provides news and business information to consumers and organizations around the world across multiple formats, including print, digital, mobile and live events. It has produced unrivalled quality content for more than 125 years and today has one of the world’s largest newsgathering operations with nearly 2,000 journalists in more than 75 bureaus globally. Its leading publications and products include the flagship Wall Street Journal, America’s largest newspaper by paid circulation; Factiva, Barron’s, MarketWatch, Financial News, DJX, Dow Jones Risk & Compliance, Dow Jones Newswires, and Dow Jones VentureSource.
United by our ambitions, the Dow Jones Customer group will attract and retain customers by
creating distinctive experiences and valued relationships for mutual profit. We work across all of the elite Dow Jones brands to appeal to a broad, high-level client base and provide a distinctive experience to each one. In addition, the group’s focus is on consistently providing excellent service and developing and nurturing valued, lasting relationships with our customers.
Who is my manager?
Head of Sales
What are my accountabilities?
- Develop and implement sales strategies to drive sales in offline acquisition channels
- Deliver budgeted order and conversion % KPIs; continuously track KPIs
- Working with marketing, find the right combination of compelling messaging, offer and creative to onboard subscribers
- Target high value subscribers that will have long term relationships with Dow Jones
- Effectively manage costs to hit budgeted cost per order
- Develop efficient methods of testing propositions, channels and audience targeting techniques to deliver the optimal level of customer sales.
- Engage and manage agencies to assist with business strategy and execution where appropriate
- Be informed by hard data, modifying plans and strategies in response to sales performance data analysis
- Undertake real-time reviews of the impact of campaigns on sales performance, and adjust offers accordingly to deliver the maximum ROI for WSJ.
- Develop business cases for all significant activity, taking input from Finance and the Sales Planning, analytics etc.
- Improve performance through analyzing current performance, identifying innovative alternatives and recommendations for more effective or efficient tactics
- Manage the subscriber acquisition budget, generating high quality leads and purchasers at the minimum possible cost.
- Develop and deliver strategies to grow sales, revenues and volumes from committed customers (subscriptions) by generating inbound traffic using outbound below the line comms including: direct mail. Live Selling.
- Develop and deliver data collection, segmentation and targeting plans to build direct marketing campaigns that drive sales.
- Develop seamless transition from consideration to conversion for all Direct campaigns
- Monitor and evaluate all direct campaign activity and employ direct sales levers accordingly to deliver against targets.
- Manage proposition used for direct to customer lead generation via third party agencies
- Manage the creative process for Direct campaigns and the Direct elements of Integrated campaigns. Ensure Direct Response principles are adhered to in all customer comms.
- Identify new data generation leads to feed into sales channels which complement existing data generation activity.
- Increase the effectiveness and cost efficiency of Direct activity, delivering sales to agreed targets and deadlines.
- Work with Activation to develop trial and promotional pricing for committed products.
- Improve performance of the function / department through the analysis of existing business processes, identifying innovative alternatives and recommendations for more effective or efficient ‘ways of working’ / product /service
- Drive the efficient delivery of organisational change projects in support of Dow Jones’ strategic agenda within a culture of empowerment through personal leadership
What do you need from me?
- Demonstrable experience of Direct sales
- Demonstrable target driven approach to sales and ability to work under pressure
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Thorough understanding of tools and techniques used in integrated direct marketing communications
- Thorough understanding of Dow Jones’ Marketing strategy and how Sales & Circulation can support this strategy
- Deep understanding of shoppers and the newspaper industry
- Deep understanding of all direct marketing channels
- Expertise in performance monitoring / tracking and budget management
- Good at working as part of cross functional team
Dow Jones is a global provider of news and business information, delivering content to consumers and organizations around the world across multiple formats, including print, digital, mobile and live events. Dow Jones has produced unrivaled quality content for more than 125 years and today has one of the world’s largest news gathering operations globally. It produces leading publications and products including the flagship Wall Street Journal, America’s largest newspaper by paid circulation; Factiva, Barron’s, MarketWatch, Financial News, DJX, Dow Jones Risk & Compliance, Dow Jones Newswires, and Dow Jones VentureSource.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status. EEO/AA/M/F/Disabled/Vets
Requisition ID 2016-29102
Job Locations USA – NY-NEW YORK
Job Function Sales
Business Area CONSUMER SALES & MARKETING
Job Area1 Sales
Job Area2 ..
Meet Some of Dow Jones's Employees
Subscriber Services Manager
Sendi works in Subscription Department at Dow Jones, dealing with fraudulent complaints and providing customer service support for WSJ, WSJ+, Barron's, and its affiliated sub-agencies.
Back to top