News Risk Manager
We are seeking a high caliber candidate to fill this position, based in Hong Kong
News Risk Manager, APAC
This role identifies and assesses security issues, provides risk mitigation and offers advice and ongoing management to support Dow Jones news and business entities involved in high-risk activities. This includes developing policies, plans, procedures and other methodology to mitigate risk across a range of requirements, addressing incidents and crises as well as unique business challenges, and assisting in the technical and business management of risk-relevant activities alongside specialist risk-focused providers. The role involves deployments to hostile or dangerous environments, assessment of infrastructure, business behaviours and safety/security practices, constant improvement in the practical mitigation of news and business risk exposure, special event support, senior leadership engagement and specialized training and equipment.
Based in Hong Kong and reporting to the News Risk Director, with dotted lines into Dow Jones News and Legal functions, the WSJ News Risk Manager will have responsibility to proactively identify risk exposure, develop and implement relevant high-risk assignment and travel policies, and maintain best-practice risk management techniques for a global news organization. The role is fundamental in facilitating an environment in which all stakeholders can effectively balance risk-related decisions and news/business benefit.
The role requires a broad track record of analysis and assessment of health, safety, security and business-related risks and the ability to provide expert advice to mitigate those risks. This includes a firm grasp of environmental factors and information-led risk planning and extensive knowledge of specialist equipment, training and techniques.
In addition to supporting the needs assessment, identification, vetting, planning and deployment of retained Security Advisors in the field when necessary and overseeing the liaison with them, the WSJ News Risk Manager will contribute to ensure compliance with travel management, safety, personnel and material accountability, and contingency planning requirements, while acting as the main point of contact between News and Corporate Security teams. Current Corporate Security team infrastructure and best practices should be leveraged to form a durable risk management approach designed to support the unique needs of Wall Street Journal editors and reporters.
- Educated to bachelor's degree level or equivalent.
- Several years' work experience in security or risk-management fields.
- Extensive personal and practical experience of working in hostile environments, dealing with security issues, managing/supporting enterprise risk, understanding physical risk exposure and managing emergency situations.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, notably the ability to express complex ideas succinctly.
- Ability to understand the diverse needs of those supported.
- Working knowledge of staff deployment and understanding of operational, technical and logistical requirements for overseas training and crisis response.
- Broad understanding of international security issues and current affairs and working knowledge of relevant health, safety and regulatory legislation, with demonstrable experience of supporting deployed staff in a dynamic, operationally focused environment.
- Successful history of briefing, influencing and winning acceptance for policy requirements to senior management, affected staff and other parties.
- Ability to anticipate operational safety requirements based on imperfect information and indicators.
If you feel that this exciting and fast paced position matches your skills, experience and motivation, please submit a cover letter, your detailed CV and state your current and expected salary to:
Dow Jones is a global provider of news and business information, delivering content to consumers and organizations around the world across multiple formats, including print, digital, mobile and live events. Dow Jones has produced unrivaled quality content for more than 125 years and today has one of the world's largest news gathering operations globally. It produces leading publications and products including the flagship Wall Street Journal, America's largest newspaper by paid circulation; Factiva, Barron's, MarketWatch, Financial News, DJX, Dow Jones Risk & Compliance, Dow Jones Newswires, and Dow Jones VentureSource.Dow Jones is a division of News Corp (NASDAQ: NWS, NWSA; ASX: NWS, NWSLV).
Requisition ID 2017-30132
Job Locations HKG-HONG KONG
Job Function ..
Business Area GREF & SECURITY
Job Area1 People, Legal, Finance
Job Area2 ..
Meet Some of Dow Jones's Employees
News Editor, WSJ
Geoff manages the Money Investing Section of the WSJ, coordinating visual, graphical, and copy content published in print and online to present readers with the best finance market stories.
Back to top