News Assistant - WSJ Print Desk
The Wall Street Journal is seeking a news assistant to work with a team of New York-based editors producing the print edition. This position includes a mix of journalistic and administrative responsibilities, such as assisting editors with tasks during the day that include minor editing and proofreading and compiling news content and various lists, in addition to directing phone calls to the news desk. There is the opportunity for the news assistant to work with editors to develop story ideas and write articles. The ideal candidate is organized and efficient, with a solid understanding of WSJ's mission and values. Journalism experience is required.
- Answer phone calls to the newsroom, directing callers to reporters and bureaus and providing information as needed.
- Compile various lists, notes and memos for planning and news coverage.
- Handle various smaller news and graphic items published in the paper.
- Proofread pages for news and feature sections.
- Generate and execute story ideas for feature sections.
- Edit shorter items in the news section.
- Uphold Dow Jones standards and ethics.
- Have strong writing and editing capability.
- Understand WSJ's brand, content and various digital and print platforms.
- General awareness of how a newsroom works.
- Some journalism experience and the aptitude to do some reporting.
- Strong organization and communication skills.
- Takes pride in and ownership of his or her own work.
- Prioritizes tasks and time while handling multiple responsibilities.
- Meets deadlines.
- Flexible in changing/handing off tasks.
- Functions well within a team.
- Wants to learn new skills.
Reports to Print Editor
Dow Jones , Making Careers Newsworthy
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status. EEO/AA/M/F/Disabled/Vets .
Dow Jones is committed to providing reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities, in our job application and/or interview process. If you need assistance or accommodation in completing your application, due to a disability, please reach out to us at TalentResourceTeam@dowjones.com . Please put "Reasonable Accommodation" in the subject line.
Business Area: NEWS/WSJ
The Wall Street Journal is a global news organization that provides leading news, information, commentary and analysis. The Wall Street Journal engages readers across print, digital, mobile, social, and video. Building on its heritage as the preeminent source of global business and financial news, the Journal includes coverage of U.S. and world news, politics, arts, culture, lifestyle, sports, and health. It holds 36 Pulitzer Prizes for outstanding journalism. The Wall Street Journal is published by Dow Jones, a division of News Corp (NASDAQ: NWS, NWSA; ASX: NWS, NWSLV).
If you require assistance in completing the online application, please contact the Talent Management team for Application Help at TalentResourceTeam@dowjones.com
Meet Some of Dow Jones's Employees
Product Team Head, The Wall Street Journal
Katharina supervises digital products for The Wall Street Journal. She leads a team of product managers, and together, they set goals and roadmaps for projects to improve the company’s apps, website, and off-platform experiences.
Back to top