Manager, Automation and Reporting
The 8-person Automation & Reporting team builds tactical technology tools, reports and
data flows in a rapid fashion using advanced spreadsheet capabilities, SQL, Python scripts, Chrome
plugins and more. The team's role is to support dozens of teams working with millions of articles a
day on time-critical research and analysis tasks being executed on a large variety of IT systems.
The team does this by crunching numbers, processing text, and bridging the gap between the
research teams and the dozens of IT systems they interact with daily.
We are looking for somebody with necessary technical skills to drive the Automation & Reporting
team to success, by being able to both propose and vet the team's solutions for optimal efficacy
and best practices, and also take on individual automation projects.
Additionally, we want somebody with the leaderships skills and experience to be able to coach
and develop the team members, inspire innovation, introduce automation best practices, manage
workload distribution and delivery, and stakeholder management across all leadership levels.
- Able to lead recruiting efforts for the team
- Manage, mentor and coach a highly skilled team.
- Lead technical discussions and drive effective technical decisions covering their area of responsibility
- Understand, teach and introduce agile project management methodologies to the team
- Understand the process of developing and implementing reporting and data solutions
- Review workflows with an eye to improving process quality and providing system automation recommendations and strategies to manage solutions and data efficiently
- Partner effectively with stakeholders to manage scope and deliverables
- Excellent verbal & written skills to interact with peers, business partners & internal customers
- Ability to organize work, set priorities and determine resource requirements based on team availability and skill sets
- Project management experience (Traditional and Agile)
- Advanced Excel Knowledge including Macros, Pivot Tables, Conditional Formatting, Formulas (arrays, lookups, logical, reference, and text functions).
- Familiarity with server-side technology powering the enterprise (PHP/Ruby/Python/.NET + respective languages)SQL Back-End Programming
- Advanced Microsoft Access
- Advanced Microsoft Excel (macros, modules, VBA)
- Good working knowledge of Microsoft Office
- Must be able to clearly relay assignments and provide detailed feedback to project team members
- Ability to take ownership of and work independently to manage projects through to completion
- Detail-orientation, thoroughness, reliability, and ability to prioritize required.
- Supports and embraces change, challenges status quo
- Analytical thinking, abstract reasoning, creative problem-solving, independent decision-making are a must
- Previous people management experience highly advantageous.
Dow Jones , Making Careers Newsworthy
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status. EEO/AA/M/F/Disabled/Vets .
Dow Jones is committed to providing reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities, in our job application and/or interview process. If you need assistance or accommodation in completing your application, due to a disability, please reach out to us at TalentResourceTeam@dowjones.com . Please put "Reasonable Accommodation" in the subject line.
Business Area: DATA STRATEGY
Dow Jones is a global provider of news and business information, delivering content to consumers and organizations around the world across multiple formats, including print, digital, mobile and live events. Dow Jones has produced unrivaled quality content for more than 125 years and today has one of the world's largest news gathering operations globally. It produces leading publications and products including the flagship Wall Street Journal, America's largest newspaper by paid circulation; Factiva, Barron's, MarketWatch, Financial News, DJX, Dow Jones Risk & Compliance, Dow Jones Newswires, and Dow Jones VentureSource.Dow Jones is a division of News Corp (NASDAQ: NWS, NWSA; ASX: NWS, NWSLV).
Back to top