Lead Software Engineer - Java/Database Developer
Do you like building realtime, resilient applications? The Dow Jones Newswires engineering team is looking for experienced software developers who have a passion for building mission-critical software solutions. Our platform supports a dynamic business that provides market moving News and Data to a broad spectrum of clients ranging from microsecond counting Hedge Funds through multi-million dollar Wealth Managers.
You will need to bring keen analytical skills and a passion for creative problem solving. We are looking for engineers who are unafraid of learning new technologies. The Dow Jones Newswires segment of the News Alerts and Data (NA&D) business line has embarked on a strategic investment program to modernize its content publishing platform to allow it to build on its past successes and enhance it for the future. You will report into the Engineering team that is aligned with the Professional Information Business product line within Dow Jones.
- We are looking for team members who can work with all levels of management and clearly express their ideas and progress.
- You'll need to dissect complex algorithms and create enterprise-class software solutions that rely on your programming skills. We want developers that have demonstrated ability to identify and isolate problem areas within entire application flow, investigate the underlying cause and implement solutions.
- You will work in a geographically diverse team depending on specific project needs. All software development teams use Agile/Scrum to organize their work.
- Minimum of a Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or a related field.
- Java developer with 8+ years of experience building high-performance web services.
- Low-level network programming with TCP/IP sockets.
- Experience with multi-process, multithreaded development.
- SQL expertise, preferably with stored procedure experience. Knowledge of transactions, ACID compliance and data normalization.
- Strong Object Oriented Design and Programming skills, hands-on application troubleshooting and debugging skills
- Experience with shell scripting including standard UNIX tools such as awk, grep and sed.
- Experience with deploying complex systems to AWS is a plus.
- Experience with current development technologies, methodologies and workflows including CI/CD, Agile development (Scrum), Git, Jenkins, Artifactory, Terraform, Behavior-Driven Development (BDD), Docker and microservices.
- Experience with Maven, Log4j, JUnit, JMeter and Jetty-based web servers including Spark framework and Spring Boot.
- Experience with TomCat and JBoss for Java web application development.
- Experienced developing secure applications (OWASP Top 10).
- JDBC, connection pools
- Experience with JSON and XML data interchange formats. XSL and XSLT are a plus.
- Experience tuning JVM is a plus.
- Comprehensive Healthcare Plans
- Paid Time Off
- Retirement Plans
- Comprehensive Insurance Plans
- Education Benefits
- Family Care Benefits
- Commuter Transit Program
- Subscription Discounts
- Employee Referral Program
Dow Jones , Making Careers Newsworthy
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status. EEO/AA/M/F/Disabled/Vets .
Dow Jones is committed to providing reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities, in our job application and/or interview process. If you need assistance or accommodation in completing your application, due to a disability, please reach out to us at TalentResourceTeam@dowjones.com . Please put "Reasonable Accommodation" in the subject line.
Business Area: TECHNOLOGY - PRODUCT DEVELOPMENT
Job Category: IT Development Group
Dow Jones is a global provider of news and business information, delivering content to consumers and organizations around the world across multiple formats, including print, digital, mobile and live events. Dow Jones has produced unrivaled quality content for more than 125 years and today has one of the world's largest news gathering operations globally. It produces leading publications and products including the flagship Wall Street Journal, America's largest newspaper by paid circulation; Factiva, Barron's, MarketWatch, Financial News, DJX, Dow Jones Risk & Compliance, Dow Jones Newswires, and Dow Jones VentureSource.Dow Jones is a division of News Corp (NASDAQ: NWS, NWSA; ASX: NWS, NWSLV).
If you are a current employee at Dow Jones, do not apply here. Please go to the Career section on your Workday homepage and view "Find Jobs - Dow Jones." Thank you.
Req ID: 18270
Back to top