Engineering Manager, iOS
Engineering Manager, iOS
The Engineering Manager is the manager of a small to mid-sized team. They are comfortable with management practice and are strong mentors. As a leader they ensure that they are tracking the team's efficiency and quality of work, they assist in regularly adjusting processes and communicating timelines to ensure high quality work is delivered.
The Engineering Manager will spend less time writing code, but there is an expectation that they still engage in some technical deliverables such as bug fixes and small features, without blocking or slowing down the progress of their team.
This role is expected to have a large impact on the success of their team as a whole. More than writing code, they hold responsibility for identifying bottlenecks in the process and roadblocks to success for their team and clearing these roadblocks. As part of keeping the team successful, the Engineering Manager scopes out technical designs and defined some implementation details (including architecture, data schemata, and technical specifications as needed) as needed. They are expected to evangelize on behalf of the team, championing the team's technologies, by collaborating with and influencing other Product and Engineering teams.
In addition to resolving technical impediments the team, they are capable of identifying headcount needs for the team and planning and recruiting to fill these needs.
The Engineering Manager is an independent manager. They are comfortable managing team members with different skill sets from their own. They communicate expectations clearly to all team members and solicit and deliver individual feedback frequently. Additionally, they identify areas of technical debt, do the cost/benefit analysis for resolving this debt and communicate suggested timelines for prioritizing this to the Product and Engineering teams.
- Scales themselves by delegating effectively; ensures tasks are completed as specified without micromanaging
- Focused on and responsible for the team's productivity and collective impact
- Makes independent decisions for the team; is actively learning how to handle difficult management situations
- Contributes to the career development of others, meet regularly with their direct reports, provide frequent feedback on their work, help the individuals set goals to ensure employee growth and retention goals
- Understands and practices agile software development and management
- Continues to contribute bug fixes and small features without becoming a bottleneck for the team
- Excels at getting the team to focus on the highest-impact projects
- Able to lead recruiting efforts and determine headcount for their team
- Partners effectively with product to manage scope and deliverables for the technical side of the product roadmap
- Solid leadership skills and the ability to manage and motivate a team
- Strong expertise with technical concepts and tools such as: software architecture, mobile application development, mobile framework design
- Familiarity with technical concepts and tools such as: database tools, web and internet applications
- Experience with Agile development methodologies (SCRUM) and test-driven development (TDD).
- Ability to meet tight deadlines and prioritize tasks appropriately
- Ability to interact with diverse technical and non-technical groups, spanning all organizational levels
- Detail-orientation, thoroughness and reliability
- Must be able to clearly relay assignments
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
Dow Jones is a global provider of news and business information, delivering content to consumers and organizations around the world across multiple formats, including print, digital, mobile and live events. Dow Jones has produced unrivaled quality content for more than 125 years and today has one of the world's largest news gathering operations globally. It produces leading publications and products including the flagship Wall Street Journal, America's largest newspaper by paid circulation; Factiva, Barron's, MarketWatch, Financial News, DJX, Dow Jones Risk & Compliance, Dow Jones Newswires, and Dow Jones VentureSource.Dow Jones is a division of News Corp (NASDAQ: NWS, NWSA; ASX: NWS, NWSLV).
Equal Opportunity Employer:
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status. EEO/AA/M/F/Disabled/Vets
Requisition ID 2017-30036
Job Locations USA-NY-NEW YORK
Job Function IT Development
Business Area TECHNOLOGY - PROD & ENG
Job Area1 Technology
Job Area2 Mobile Development
Meet Some of Dow Jones's Employees
News Editor, WSJ
Geoff manages the Money Investing Section of the WSJ, coordinating visual, graphical, and copy content published in print and online to present readers with the best finance market stories.
Back to top