Director, Content Curation
Position Summary Statement:
The Content group manages the flow of news and information that lies at the heart of the Dow Jones Professional Information Business (PIB) products, ensuring that it is loaded, enriched and available to customers quickly and effectively. This includes working with publishers and websites to onboard content, creating and maintaining rules and systems for applying topical tagging and metadata to make our sources and stories easy to find, and compiling and surfacing useful content sets on home pages, customized newsletters and through pre-built search queries.
The Data Delivery group manages the creation and delivery of curated content features across a range of PIB products supported by Data Strategy. This includes Factiva Expert Search, Homepages, Newsstand and Web Content in Factiva.com; My Company Today newsletters; and Dow Jones Direct.
The Director leads a global team that includes teams in the U.S., Barcelona and Singapore. The managers of those teams report to the director. The director is responsible for ensuring that the team works to compile and surface useful content sets to meet client and product needs.
The Data Delivery group is responsible for building and maintaining agents to crawl non-licensed web content; building and maintaining expert search queries, including dynamic "trending topics," for click-and-go access by clients; assessing client needs and preparing customized newsletters to meet those needs; and building and maintaining Factiva product features including homepages and Newsstand.
The Director defines and communicates the team's purpose and future direction, ensuring alignment with Dow Jones' vision and values; maintains an understanding of Dow Jones' established and evolving markets, and ensures that the team's strategy keeps pace with evolving needs and Dow Jones' overall business strategy.
- Manage the regional teams consistent with the expectations of effective staff leadership.
- Oversee management of third-party partners who assist in meeting the Data Delivery team's workload.
- Oversee management of assignments within agreed timelines. This includes the ability to interpret client requirements and develop curation methods and practices to meet them.
- Oversee all aspects of Data Delivery tool development including defining requirements, overseeing testing, and ensuring useful user documentation and training of users.
- Direct and monitor activities of the regional managers and staff including recruiting, scheduling, coaching, training, performance management, and corrective action to develop an effective team with a strong customer focus. Ensure that scheduling and staffing is organized to maintain service-level objectives.
- Share information with staff, review team progress, and establish relationships with other teams to ensure overall efficiency of Data Delivery team.
- Develop a cohesive and informed global team through contribution to regular staff meeting and team-building exercises.
- Identify trends and develop and implement plans for improvement to ensure required customer satisfaction levels.
- Work with Sales, Product and other Content and Data Strategy teams to ensure that Data Delivery is aligned with goals and plans to meet content needs of customers around the world.
- Work with Product to identify how content will be presented and used within Factiva offerings.
- Work with Product and technologists to ensure development work is aligned with the Factiva content and product strategies.
- Work with external contractors as needed to achieve editorial goals.
- Work with Finance, Marketing and Product to develop, implement and adhere to appropriate business models
- Work with Marketing and Sales to communicate the value of the Data Delivery team's work.
- Work with Customer Service and Sales to understand customer needs and respond to customer questions.
Skills, Experience & Qualifications
- Minimum 5 years of experience in information management products services and systems, showing an increasing level of responsibility.
- Minimum 5years of people management experience including proven ability to motivate and lead teams to performance excellence.
- Successful track record of managing projects/programs of real or virtual teams while providing oversight of geographically dispersed projects.
- Detailed understanding of the methods used to develop, serve and maintain online content including indexing and content management technology.
- Ability to manage to budget and implement programs to increase efficiency of operations.
- Ability to communicate effectively with a wide variety of global audiences in writing and speech.
- Success in managing projects/programs from inception to completion through effective communication, collaboration, shared goals, and trust
- Highly reliable, responsible, and accountable for group and individual goals.
- Strategic leadership and willingness to innovate.
- Keen problem-solving and analytical skills with the ability to evaluate issues and conflicts and make timely decisions that benefit both the customer and the business.
- Ability to work to tight deadlines and high quality standards.
- A thorough understanding of Boolean search logic and how that is applied in PIB applications.
- Direct collaboration with colleagues in Product and Sales to deliver projects to time and cost
- Ability to set effective individual and team goals based on business strategies and objectives, and to monitor team activities to ensure goal fulfillment.
- This is a non-union position.
Dow Jones is a global provider of news and business information, delivering content to consumers and organizations around the world across multiple formats, including print, digital, mobile and live events. Dow Jones has produced unrivaled quality content for more than 125 years and today has one of the world's largest news gathering operations globally. It produces leading publications and products including the flagship Wall Street Journal, America's largest newspaper by paid circulation; Factiva, Barron's, MarketWatch, Financial News, DJX, Dow Jones Risk & Compliance, Dow Jones Newswires, and Dow Jones VentureSource.Dow Jones is a division of News Corp (NASDAQ: NWS, NWSA; ASX: NWS, NWSLV).
Equal Opportunity Employer:
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status. EEO/AA/M/F/Disabled/Vets
Requisition ID 2017-29866
Job Locations USA-NJ-PRINCETON
Job Function Data/Content
Business Area DATA STRATEGY
Job Area1 Research & Data Science
Job Area2 ..
Meet Some of Dow Jones's Employees
News Editor, WSJ
Geoff manages the Money Investing Section of the WSJ, coordinating visual, graphical, and copy content published in print and online to present readers with the best finance market stories.
Back to top