Deputy Editor, Emerging Media
The Wall Street Journal’s emerging media team seeks a journalist who is excited about figuring out the future of journalism and understands the digital tools needed to succeed.
The editor will support the executive emerging media editor in leading the global audience engagement, development, newsroom analytics and emerging platform teams in growing traffic and engaging new and current subscribers.
This key editor will work with news, editorial, product, tech, and commercial partners across the organization to develop audience strategies, and spread best practices in digital publishing and promotion throughout the newsroom. The ideal candidate will develop a deep understanding of the Journal’s audience and come equipped with ideas on how to acquire new audiences and deepen engagement with current audiences through social, search, media and partnerships.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop and support audience growth strategies throughout global newsroom
- Deepen understanding of existing and new audiences through newsroom data analytics and commercial-side customer knowledge initiatives
- Disseminate and develop best digital practices for audience acquisition, growth and retention in close collaboration with senior audience engagement and audience development manager
- Work with commercial-side partners to support off-platform partnerships and identify new opportunities
- Identify new platforms
- Assist in overall team management
Skills and Qualifications
- Must have prior management experience
- Has worked in a large newsroom, preferably national or global
- Must have strong interest, knowledge and aptitude for newsroom data analytics andaudience metrics
- Advanced understanding of SEO and social tools and strategy
- Excitement for audience engagement projects and enthusiasm for understanding new methods of storytelling and promotion on social media, messaging apps, and new mobile – digital media
- Experience working on partnerships, including tech companies and digital publishers
- Knowledge of technical SEO practices strongly desired
- Knowledge and expertise in newsletter and alert strategy preferred
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree, journalism prefered
- Editorial/journalism background
- Demonstrated audience engagement and development expertis
Applications should include a resume and cover letter.
Dow Jones is a global provider of news and business information, delivering content to consumers and organizations around the world across multiple formats, including print, digital, mobile and live events. Dow Jones has produced unrivaled quality content for more than 125 years and today has one of the world’s largest news gathering operations globally. It produces leading publications and products including the flagship Wall Street Journal, America’s largest newspaper by paid circulation; Factiva, Barron’s, MarketWatch, Financial News, DJX, Dow Jones Risk & Compliance, Dow Jones Newswires, and Dow Jones VentureSource.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status. EEO/AA/M/F/Disabled/Vets
Requisition ID 2016-28631
Job Locations USA – NY-NEW YORK
Job Function News/Editorial
Business Area NEWS/WSJ
Job Area1 News
Job Area2 ..
Meet Some of Dow Jones's Employees
Subscriber Services Manager
Sendi works in Subscription Department at Dow Jones, dealing with fraudulent complaints and providing customer service support for WSJ, WSJ+, Barron's, and its affiliated sub-agencies.
Back to top