Data Scientist, FP&A - Business Intelligence
The FP&A (Financial Planning & Analysis) group is seeking a Data Scientist to support our Business Intelligence Lead in building out an exciting new function within the group. This new function's mission will be to develop ease of access to advanced measurements of KPIs aligned to measuring Dow Jones' core strategies and success of the most important decisions being made in the business.
The Data Scientist will primarily focus on developing enhancements specifically around advertising and traffic analytics, helping develop the expanded Business Intelligence scope and roadmap, managing tasks and deliverables according to timelines, improving financial and business insights, and partnering with many different groups across the business and data teams.
- Focus on enhancing and delivering on a handful of key initial projects, including but not limited to advertising and salesforce analytics
- Help develop wider scope and projects, identify additional opportunities and measure against delivery of Business Intelligence roadmap according to timelines
- Revamp and build out revenue and KPI analysis to understand business performance measured against targets, strategies and trends
- Develop understanding of data landscape across the company and who key contributors are
- Identify and make recommendations for upstream data improvement opportunities across various sources of data
- Enhance ability to understand the impacts and influence decision making of core strategies
- Drive process conversion from heavy use of detailed excels and big data toward sophisticated, actionable dashboards and reporting using various tools
- Pivot analysis to real time understanding of business performance
- Learn about past, current and future projects around data analytics across the business and become embedded in certain ones
- Become a key resource and build relationships across the FP&A team, data teams, wider business and enveloped in ongoing and future projects involving data
- Help develop training and upskilling of Business Intelligence for the wider FP&A team
- Help provide updates and presentations to key stakeholders, Senior Leadership and Executive Management on delivery of the BI roadmap
Skills and Experience
- Experience with, passion for and deep understanding of digital media and news publishing
- Team oriented and collaborative with eagerness to be challenged and learn
- Excellent communication skills with all levels of employees and management
- Advanced Degree (i.e. Masters or PhD) with a specialization in Statistics, Computer Science, Data Science, Economics, Mathematics, Operations Research or other quantitative field or equivalent
- Strong working knowledge of multiple analytics and programming languages such as R, Python, SAS, Julia, Java, Scala or similar
- Strong understanding of relational databases, SQL and MS Excel
- Experiences with applying statistical techniques
- Experience with data visualization tools and techniques, e.g. Tableau or similar tools
- Knowledge of specific systems a plus including Amazon S3, Amazon Redshift, Domo, Salesforce, Digital Order Management Systems a plus
Dow Jones , Making Careers Newsworthy
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status. EEO/AA/M/F/Disabled/Vets .
Dow Jones is committed to providing reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities, in our job application and/or interview process. If you need assistance or accommodation in completing your application, due to a disability, please reach out to us at TalentResourceTeam@dowjones.com . Please put "Reasonable Accommodation" in the subject line.
Business Area: FINANCE
Dow Jones is a global provider of news and business information, delivering content to consumers and organizations around the world across multiple formats, including print, digital, mobile and live events. Dow Jones has produced unrivaled quality content for more than 125 years and today has one of the world's largest news gathering operations globally. It produces leading publications and products including the flagship Wall Street Journal, America's largest newspaper by paid circulation; Factiva, Barron's, MarketWatch, Financial News, DJX, Dow Jones Risk & Compliance, Dow Jones Newswires, and Dow Jones VentureSource.Dow Jones is a division of News Corp (NASDAQ: NWS, NWSA; ASX: NWS, NWSLV).
If you require assistance in completing the online application, please contact the Talent Management team for Application Help at TalentResourceTeam@dowjones.com
Job Req 11463
Back to top