Content Extraction Specialist
Content Extraction Specialist
The Strategic Services team provides key strategic functions across Data Strategy, including Metadata Management, Business Management, Content Strategy, Quality and Solutions. The Strategic Services group houses all non-research capabilities within Data Strategy.
The Metadata Management group is responsible for the development, maintenance and application and of our proprietary Dow Jones Intelligent Identifiers taxonomy in Dow Jones products and services. The team is responsible also for using semantic and natural language processing tools to extract key data elements from the Factiva archive to aid internal researchers and potentially for future commercial use.
The Content Extraction Specialist reports to the Manager, Extraction, based in Barcelona. The individual will be part of Strategic Services' Metadata Management team and will also share responsibilities with the Autocoding Specialists in Metadata Management.
The Content Extraction Specialist works on various extraction projects using Text Analytics tools to extract 'facts' or 'events' from Factiva and Dow Jones content. As part of the Metadata Management team they will also master the Dow Jones Intelligent Identifiers and Factiva's auto-categorization systems.
• Research, produce and maintain expert rules for data extraction using third-party Text Analytics tools.
• Participate in code application to Factiva content based on DJ proprietary taxonomy.
• Develop and maintain document training sets for linguistics-based extraction and categorization tools.
• Test software releases as extraction and categorization tools are improved.
• Perform extraction and coding quality monitoring of publications, and refine extraction and categorization rules to ensure the highest levels of precision and recall.
• Undertake research and analysis to improve the overall enrichment of Factiva content.
• Troubleshoot extraction and coding problems.
• Answer quality issues and questions escalated via internal quality monitoring workflows.
• Perform special ad-hoc projects as needed to support the needs of the business.
Skills & Experience
• Fluency in English plus in two of the following languages: Spanish, French or Italian. Any additional major European languages are a plus.
• Library science, linguistics, research or journalism background.
• Experience with taxonomies and classification systems a plus.
• Extremely detailed oriented.
• Internet savvy.
• Excellent research and analytical skills.
• Understanding of Boolean search logic a plus.
• Strong organizational and time management skills.
• Advanced skills in logical reasoning.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications.
• Understanding of Dow Jones Intelligent Identifiers.
• Experience with Text Analytics products helpful.
Dow Jones , Making Careers Newsworthy
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status. EEO/AA/M/F/Disabled/Vets .
Dow Jones is committed to providing reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities, in our job application and/or interview process. If you need assistance or accommodation in completing your application, due to a disability, please reach out to us at TalentResourceTeam@dowjones.com . Please put "Reasonable Accommodation" in the subject line.
Business Area: DATA STRATEGY
Job Category: Data/Content Group
Dow Jones is a global provider of news and business information, delivering content to consumers and organizations around the world across multiple formats, including print, digital, mobile and live events. Dow Jones has produced unrivaled quality content for more than 125 years and today has one of the world's largest news gathering operations globally. It produces leading publications and products including the flagship Wall Street Journal, America's largest newspaper by paid circulation; Factiva, Barron's, MarketWatch, Financial News, DJX, Dow Jones Risk & Compliance, Dow Jones Newswires, and Dow Jones VentureSource.Dow Jones is a division of News Corp (NASDAQ: NWS, NWSA; ASX: NWS, NWSLV).
If you require assistance in completing the online application, please contact the Talent Management team for Application Help at TalentResourceTeam@dowjones.com
Job Req 13610
Back to top