We are looking for a Cloud Engineer for the Dow Jones Engineering Productivity team, a small group of developers working on strategic projects across the full suite of Dow Jones products. The candidate will work alongside other cloud and application engineers to help maintain a deployment and management strategy primarily in Amazon cloud, as well as help in create and maintain an automation framework around the software development lifecycle. Strong scripting and/or software development skills are essential. In this position you will work to understand, define, and promote the software development process, and craft an operational environment that increases the elasticity of our cloud as well as the efficiency of our developers.
- Solving problems using a software development mindset.
- Candidate works on deployment strategies and automation for cloud native applications.
- Support automated build pipeline, continuous integration, continuous deployment and test automation frameworks with tools such as Git, Jenkins, Chef, Terraform and Docker.
- Develops automation using Shell scripting, Linux, Perl, Python and Packer.
- Works on implementing application monitoring and logging strategies using tools like New Relic and Splunk.
- Assist building tools and services from scratch to fill the existing technology gaps.
- Works on troubleshooting application integration issues with Development teams.
- Get requirements and facilitates infrastructure changes like FW rules, DNS, and load-balancers.
- Understands best practices for code promotion across the various environments. (builds, approvals, release) – understands SDLC and Agile/Iterative practices
Skills & Experience:
- Software programming experience with any of these languages (Node.js, Python, Ruby, Java or .net)
- Possesses a solid understanding of modern web application architecture, TCP/IP, HTTP, and complex cloud network and security topologies
- Hands on experience with administering Linux systems.
- Scripting experience with Shell, Python or Ruby.
- Experience with AWS services such as EC2, VPC, RDS, CloudWatch, CloudFront, Route53 etc.
- Familiarity with SQL and relational databases (PostgreSQL, MySQL) and NoSQL databases (MongoDB, Redis)
- Knowledge of monitoring, logging and management tools or services that integrate with AWS.
- Ability to use a wide variety of open source technologies and cloud services.
- Willingness to learn and build new tools from scratch.
What we’re looking for in a candidate:
- Passion about technology and the solutions we are designing.
- Communication that is articulate, clear and concise in regular conversation with your team and the wider stakeholder groups.
- Attention to Detail and focused on the little things that make a difference.
- Delivery Focus; pragmatic and driven to get solutions live.
- A Proactive attitude that shows you are a self-starter who seeks out opportunities for yourself and your team.
- Awareness of industry trends such as challenges and best practices.
- A positive attitude generating enthusiasm among team members
- Awareness of, and the ability to manage, business and technology expectations.
Dow Jones is a global provider of news and business information, delivering content to consumers and organizations around the world across multiple formats, including print, digital, mobile and live events. Dow Jones has produced unrivaled quality content for more than 125 years and today has one of the world’s largest news gathering operations globally. It produces leading publications and products including the flagship Wall Street Journal, America’s largest newspaper by paid circulation; Factiva, Barron’s, MarketWatch, Financial News, DJX, Dow Jones Risk & Compliance, Dow Jones Newswires, and Dow Jones VentureSource.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status. EEO/AA/M/F/Disabled/Vets
Requisition ID 2016-28541
Job Locations USA – NJ-PRINCETON
Job Function IT Development
Business Area TECHNOLOGY – PROD & ENG
Job Area1 Mobile Development
Job Area2 Technology
Meet Some of Dow Jones's Employees
Subscriber Services Manager
Sendi works in Subscription Department at Dow Jones, dealing with fraudulent complaints and providing customer service support for WSJ, WSJ+, Barron's, and its affiliated sub-agencies.
Back to top