As a member of the Enterprise Operations Center (EOC) support group within News Corp Shared Services, this position will be responsible for technical support on all critical multi-user incidents impacting Dow Jones and News Corp Subsidiaries, including direction and guidance to technology teams. The Availability Manager will be responsible for working with all technology groups and 3rdparty vendors/partners in providing global event monitoring and incident management across the enterprise.
The Availability Manager is expected to develop an in-depth knowledge of the organization’s business lines and products, and will be required to effectively interface with business and technology across all organizations. The position requires a highly motivated self-starter with exceptional communication skills, exemplary customer service focus, and a diverse technical background.
Must be available to work 1st, 2nd or 3rd shiftMonday-Friday
Must be available to provide rotational on-call coverage for weekends and holidays.
- Provides Incident Management services for all businesses within Dow Jones and News Corp
- Ensures incidents are managed robustly and effectively and that any customer/business impact is identified and minimized
- Drives incident bridges and ensures that ticket communications/documentation are accurate, timely, clear and concise
- Works with Service Owners to maintain control and drive resolution on ageing tickets
- Facilitates lessons learned sessions for all significant outages, and ensure follow-up action items are assigned and entered in tracking system
- Identifies problematic and chronic issues and partners with otherAvailabilityManagers and Service Owners in resolution efforts and service improvement programs
- Partners with technology groups in evaluating and creating Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) in order to improve restoration efforts
- Collaborates with monitoring teams in analyzing and evaluating current event monitoring systems and alerts
- Maintains a thorough knowledge of the technology organization and assists the OperationsManagerin ensuring all organizational standards, operational processes and policies are being adhered to
- Supports and champions the organization’s goals, values, and policies
- Prepares technical and executive summaries pertaining to critical incidents
- Provides documentation governance oversight for the knowledge base
- Coordinates training sessions/overviews required by the EOC for new system deployments
- Assists in creating and developing operational dashboards and reports to be used for metrics evaluations and to identify areas for improvement.
- Degree in Computer Science or related field preferred
- Minimum 10 years technical experience preferred
- Minimum 3 years experience as team lead preferred
- ITIL certifications preferred
- Exceptional interpersonal and leadership skill are essential.
- Exceptional multi-tasking, problem determination and critical thinking skills
- Exceptional communications skills: verbal, written and facilitation skills
- Possess a true sense of urgency and a positive can-do attitude
- Knowledgeable in server, network, database, storage, applications, and telephony systems.
- Strong documentation skills
- Ability to organize resources across different teams to drive resolution of system critical issues
Dow Jones is a global provider of news and business information, delivering content to consumers and organizations around the world across multiple formats, including print, digital, mobile and live events. Dow Jones has produced unrivaled quality content for more than 125 years and today has one of the world’s largest news gathering operations globally. It produces leading publications and products including the flagship Wall Street Journal, America’s largest newspaper by paid circulation; Factiva, Barron’s, MarketWatch, Financial News, DJX, Dow Jones Risk & Compliance, Dow Jones Newswires, and Dow Jones VentureSource.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status. EEO/AA/M/F/Disabled/Vets
Requisition ID 2016-29087
Job Locations USA – NY-NEW YORK
Job Function IT Development
Business Area TECHNOLOGY – ENTERPRISE
Job Area1 Technology
Job Area2 ..
Meet Some of Dow Jones's Employees
Subscriber Services Manager
Sendi works in Subscription Department at Dow Jones, dealing with fraudulent complaints and providing customer service support for WSJ, WSJ+, Barron's, and its affiliated sub-agencies.
Back to top