Data Analyst, Audience Development
You will play a key role in the growing audience growth team at Dow Jones, one of the world's leading publishers.
Our work is about driving loyalty, engagement and expansion of our audiences – the lifeblood of our news organization – sitting at the intersection between marketing, editorial, customer insights and product.
Understanding audience behavior through data analysis is the cornerstone of your work, from which you will derive rich and actionable insights that inform our product, editorial and marketing strategies and direction. You are a metrics magician, highly analytical and are able to add context to the data – able to differentiate between causation and correlation.
You will be a pivotal part of our data driven philosophy, telling stories and insightful narratives with data.
- To provide detailed analysis & understanding of our audiences across an array of news products.
- To query large datasets and translate search, social and referral data into actionable insights for key stakeholders, including editorial, marketing, and product – usingdata visualization and dashboards.
- To perform audience analysis across an array of analytics platforms (Parse.ly, Omniture, Facebook Insights, Google Search Console), and competitive research tools.
- To coordinate A/B testing for strong growth areas of our products.
- Respond to data requests from general managers, editors and reporters.
- Conduct funnel analysis and conversion and drop off rates analysis.
Experience and skills:
Ideally, you will have worked for a couple of years within a data team for a media / news organization previously. That said, we're open to beautiful data minds straight out of college as well.
- Wizard with data analytical tools, including SQL, Excel/Google Sheets, Google Analytics, and Omniture/Adobe Analytics.
- Understanding of referral channels such as search engines, social media, referral, direct and emails.
- Numbers driven with a keen attention to detail, particularly around data validation, reporting and stakeholder communication.
- Proven ability to train and communicate knowledge of data analysis to others clearly. You are a data storyteller.
- Experience with data extraction and reporting tools such as Tableau is ideal.
- Data Visualization knowledge is a bonus point.
- Ability to code in Python and / or other coding languages is a double bonus point.
Dow Jones is a global provider of news and business information, delivering content to consumers and organizations around the world across multiple formats, including print, digital, mobile and live events. Dow Jones has produced unrivaled quality content for more than 130 years and today has one of the world's largest newsgathering operations globally. It produces leading publications and products including the flagship Wall Street Journal, America's largest newspaper by paid circulation; Factiva, Barron's, MarketWatch, Financial News, DJX, Dow Jones Risk & Compliance, Dow Jones Newswires, and Dow Jones VentureSource. Dow Jones is a division of News Corp (NASDAQ: NWS, NWSA; ASX: NWS, NWSLV).
Equal Opportunity Employer:
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status. EEO/AA/M/F/Disabled/Vets
Requisition ID 2016-29039
Job Locations USA-NY-NEW YORK
Job Function Data/Content
Business Area ..
Job Area1 Research & Data Science
Job Area2 Marketing & Corp Comms
Meet Some of Dow Jones's Employees
News Editor, WSJ
Geoff manages the Money Investing Section of the WSJ, coordinating visual, graphical, and copy content published in print and online to present readers with the best finance market stories.
Back to top