Art Director, Features/Future of Everything
The Wall Street Journal is seeking an experienced art director to join its team in New York on a temporary one-year contract to work with our Future of Everything and features team.
The Future of Everything is the Wall Street Journal's multimedia franchise looking at the next waves of technology, science, and management and how they are redefining the way we work and play. Our editorial team will publish stories across all of our platforms with a deep focus on visual and experimental storytelling. Platforms include a monthly newspaper section, a dedicated digital edition, a weekly newsletter, and contributions that tie in with high-profile live events.
This person will join an award-winning team of journalists to produce visually compelling and journalistically sound layouts as well as producing original content for digital and print platforms. This position is based in New York and reports to the deputy chief art director for features.
- Provides art direction for digital presentation of stories.
- Reviews advertising layouts and develops a visual plan that best represents each story.
- Art directs print section and handles special requests.
- Works closely with section editors, photo editors and graphic editors to determine how best to tell stories visually and prioritize display of stories.
- Ensures design and layout consistency across section
- Adheres to and respects established styles.
- Assigns illustrations and manages budget.
- Assigns work to assistant ADs and distributes and manages workload.
- Provides guidance and feedback to assistant AD.
- Effectively balances competing priorities and manages time to meet section deadlines.
- Delivers creative and innovative sections that reflects the high journalistic standards of the WSJ.
- Leads the conversation for future section planning.
Skills and Qualifications
- At least five to seven years experience in feature design
- A strong portfolio reflecting experience in fashion, travel, lifestyle, autos and real estate
- Must have excellent and demonstrable design and typography skills
- A passion for journalism and excellent news judgement
- Flexibility to work with both Macintosh and PC operating systems.
- A good understanding of CSS and XML.
- Able to help reporters and editors understand best practices for visual storytelling.
- The initiative to take on and learn new tasks in a fast-moving environment.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Good knowledge of responsive design and best practices for building stories for mobile devices is a bonus.
- Software Requirements: Adobe InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, Acrobat, G Suite, Microsoft Word and Excel. Experience with Eidos Media's Methode publishing system a plus.
Dow Jones , Making Careers Newsworthy
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status. EEO/AA/M/F/Disabled/Vets .
Dow Jones is committed to providing reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities, in our job application and/or interview process. If you need assistance or accommodation in completing your application, due to a disability, please reach out to us at TalentResourceTeam@dowjones.com . Please put "Reasonable Accommodation" in the subject line.
Business Area: NEWS/WSJ
Job Category: Contingent Workers
The Wall Street Journal is a global news organization that provides leading news, information, commentary and analysis. The Wall Street Journal engages readers across print, digital, mobile, social, and video. Building on its heritage as the preeminent source of global business and financial news, the Journal includes coverage of U.S. and world news, politics, arts, culture, lifestyle, sports, and health. It holds 38 Pulitzer Prizes for outstanding journalism. The Wall Street Journal is published by Dow Jones, a division of News Corp (NASDAQ: NWS, NWSA; ASX: NWS, NWSLV).
If you are a current employee at Dow Jones, do not apply here. Please go to the Career section on your Workday homepage and view "Find Jobs - Dow Jones." Thank you.
Req ID: 18822
Back to top