When you join Dow Jones, you become part of one of the most dynamic, creative and savvy news and information companies in the world. As a global leader in news and business intelligence, we're newswires, websites, newspapers, apps, newsletters, databases, magazines, radio and television--including some of the widest-read and most-respected brands, like Factiva, The Wall Street Journal, and Barron's. Our media inform the discussions and decisions that are vital to the world's commerce, while our databases make the business world more transparent. We continually develop technology to transform information into insight and insight into prosperity. From 58 countries and in 25 languages, we enlighten and inspire audiences with authoritative, differentiated and trusted content.
The role of the Account Executive (AE) is to grow new business revenue and retain existing revenue and relationships for a defined "book of business." This means the AE is responsible for all aspects of the relationship with a defined set of financial services customers. The number of companies managed by an Account Executive will typically be between 15 and 25 clients.
The Account Executive is responsible for retaining and growing the existing contract revenue (in existing buying centers) within their set of customers. The Account Executive will also initiate sales activity with new buying centers (either independently, or working with Sales Specialists) and will also be responsible for prospecting companies that currently do not have business with Dow Jones, within their defined territory.
Client relationships are built and maintained primarily via in-person meetings. An ability to develop strong business relationships in a phone-based and in person-based environment is crucial to the success of this role.
The successful Account Executive will retain business within the established customer base, work to develop opportunities and display a strong level of business understanding for the financial services industry ranging from banks, hedge funds, insurance and financial technology. This role will report to the Vice President of Sales, Financial Services.
- MEET NEW BUSINESS TARGETS : Generate new streams of Dow Jones revenue through sales of products and services which address prospects business needs
- IDENTIFY PROSPECTS FOR NEW BUSINESS REVENUE : Complete market analysis to identify new buying centers within the book of business, plus the specific roles and individuals to be prospected. Develop and execute a plan to grow the territory by understanding the complete suite of Dow Jones products and successfully take them to market.
- RETENTION : Retain Dow Jones contract revenue in the assigned set of customers and ensure the Dow Jones products and services address customers' business needs
- RELATIONSHIPS : Maintain high levels of customer loyalty through regular communication with all customers, and build solid working relationships with each customer
- RENEWALS : Develop and execute a plan to manage all account renewals, initiating communication with the client at the right time and fulfilling contractual obligations for providing account information to the client
- ACCOUNT MANAGEMENT : Responsible for all areas of account management, including the development of good account understanding, understanding clients' businesses and resolving issues in a timely manner; understand competitor solutions the client is using and the client's current and developing needs
- ROLLOUT AND ADOPTION: Ensure appropriate levels of customer training and awareness are provided through your own means and partnering with the Account Development Team.
- TEAMWORK : Work on new business and retention initiatives for selected customers with the extended Sales and Product teams
- PRODUCT KNOWLEDGE : Clearly express the value proposition and benefits of the Dow Jones products and solutions for financial services clients, and use this knowledge to help increase the value and adoption of our solutions
- FORECASTING : Manage Sales Forecast and Pipeline to ensure clear reporting of forthcoming renewals, additional sales opportunities, plus the associated revenue and timescales
- MANAGING ACCOUNT INFORMATION : Maintain accurate and appropriate client records within the global CRM system to provide timely information for team members and management .
Skills & Experience:
- A proven successful track record of at least 5 years of selling content to the financial services industry
- Deep knowledge of the financial services industry to help build credibility with the clients, spot potential opportunities, and express the benefits of Dow Jones in solving customer problems
- High level of comfort with – and the ability to discuss with the market - technology trends within financial services such as Big Data, Artificial Intelligence, Natural Language Processing, CRM & the use of APIs
- Strong results orientation, with the commitment and drive to achieve a new business revenue goal in a demanding and competitive business environment
- Ability to prioritize tasks and customers , to ensure time is maximized for revenue-retaining activities
- High energy for telephone prospecting to introduce solutions into new buying centers for new business revenue
- Proven ability to develop business opportunities independent of Market Data and Procurement professionals
- Demonstrable command of LinkedIn and Social Media as critical tools for developing new business revenue opportunities and as a tool to broaden relationships with existing customers.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills (listening, questioning, written and verbal) to ensure the Dow Jones value position is clearly articulated to prospects, a persuasive business case is presented and a professional image always conveyed.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills in face-to-face meetings to ensure smooth progression of opportunities through the sales cycle. This is a key requirement since larger deals are likely to involve multiple stakeholders (individuals and departments) from all levels of the business, often also including Dow Jones senior management
- Exceptional negotiation and closing skills to manage renewals from the AM's set of customers to a successful conclusion
- Sensible management of Dow Jones travel and expenses costs is expected
Dow Jones is a global provider of news and business information, delivering content to consumers and organizations around the world across multiple formats, including print, digital, mobile and live events. Dow Jones has produced unrivaled quality content for more than 125 years and today has one of the world's largest news gathering operations globally. It produces leading publications and products including the flagship Wall Street Journal, America's largest newspaper by paid circulation; Factiva, Barron's, MarketWatch, Financial News, DJX, Dow Jones Risk & Compliance, Dow Jones Newswires, and Dow Jones VentureSource.Dow Jones is a division of News Corp (NASDAQ: NWS, NWSA; ASX: NWS, NWSLV).
Equal Opportunity Employer:
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status. EEO/AA/M/F/Disabled/Vets
Requisition ID 2017-30414
Job Locations USA-NY-NEW YORK
Job Function Sales
Business Area ..
Job Area1 Sales
Job Area2 ..
Meet Some of Dow Jones's Employees
News Editor, WSJ
Geoff manages the Money Investing Section of the WSJ, coordinating visual, graphical, and copy content published in print and online to present readers with the best finance market stories.
Back to top