The role of the Account Executive (AE) is to manage a 'book of business' and prospect for new business. This means the AM is responsible for all aspects of the relationship with a defined set of customers. The number of companies managed by an Account Executive depends on geography and industry sectors covered.
The Account Executive is responsible for retaining and growing the existing contract revenue (in existing buying centers) within their set of customers. The Account Executive will also initiate sales activity with new buying centers (either independently, or working with Sales Specialists) and will also be responsible for prospecting companies that currently do not have business with Dow Jones, within their defined territory.
Client relationships are built and maintained via telephone, email, and in-person meetings. An ability to develop strong business relationships in a phone-based and in person-based environment is crucial to the success of this role.
The successful Account Executive will retain business within the established customer base, work to develop opportunities and display a strong level of business understanding for the industries covered in their set of customers.
- MEET NEW BUSINESS TARGETS : Generate new streams of Dow Jones revenue through sales of products and services which address prospects business needs
- IDENTIFY PROSPECTS : Complete market analysis to identify good potential target organizations, plus the specific roles and individuals to be prospected. Develop and execute a plan to grow your territory by understanding the complete suite of Dow Jones products and successfully take them to market.
- RETENTION : Retain Dow Jones contract revenue in the assigned set of customers and ensure the Dow Jones products and services address customers' business needs
- RELATIONSHIPS : Maintain good levels of customer satisfaction through regular communication with all customers, and build solid working relationships with each customer
- RENEWALS : Develop and execute a plan to manage all account renewals, initiating communication with the client at the right time and fulfilling contractual obligations for providing account information to the client
- ACCOUNT MANAGEMENT : Responsible for all areas of account management, including the development of good account understanding, understanding clients' businesses and resolving issues in a timely manner; understand competitor solutions the client is using and the client's current and developing needs
- ROLLOUT AND ADOPTION: Ensure appropriate levels of customer training and awareness are provided through your own means and partnering with the Account Development Team.
- DEVELOP OPPORTUNITIES : Identify opportunities for increased revenue within the set of accounts (up-selling and possibly cross-selling), and where appropriate, engage with Sales Specialists to bring to close.
- TEAMWORK : Work on retention initiatives for selected customers with the extended sales team available
- PRODUCT KNOWLEDGE : Clearly express the value proposition and benefits of the Dow Jones products and solutions, and use this knowledge to help increase the value and adoption of our solutions by the client
- FORECASTING : Manage Sales Forecast and Pipeline to ensure clear reporting of forthcoming renewals, additional sales opportunities, plus the associated revenue and timescales
- MANAGING ACCOUNT INFORMATION : Maintain accurate and appropriate client records within the global CRM system to provide timely management information.
Skills & Experience:
- Strong time management skills , with an ability to develop and implement effective systems for managing administrative tasks and tracking progress against appropriate activity goals
- Strong results orientation, with the commitment and drive to achieve a new business goal in a demanding and competitive business environment
- Ability to prioritize tasks and customers , to ensure time is maximized for revenue-retaining activities and the most important customers receive an excellent level of account management
- Excellent communication skills (listening, questioning, written and verbal) to ensure the Dow Jones value position is clearly articulated to prospects, a persuasive business case is presented and a professional image always conveyed.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills in face-to-face meetings to ensure smooth progression of opportunities through the sales cycle. This is a key requirement since larger deals are likely to involve multiple stakeholders (individuals and departments) from all levels of the business
- Good level of business awareness to help build credibility with the client, spot potential opportunities within a peer group or industry sector, and express the benefits of Dow Jones in the appropriate business context
- Exceptional negotiation and closing skills to manage renewals from the AM's set of customers to a successful conclusion
- A proven successful track record of at least 5 years of selling information to the financial services industry
Dow Jones , Making Careers Newsworthy
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status. EEO/AA/M/F/Disabled/Vets .
Dow Jones is committed to providing reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities, in our job application and/or interview process. If you need assistance or accommodation in completing your application, due to a disability, please reach out to us at TalentResourceTeam@dowjones.com . Please put "Reasonable Accommodation" in the subject line.
Business Area: CORP SALES
Dow Jones is a global provider of news and business information, delivering content to consumers and organizations around the world across multiple formats, including print, digital, mobile and live events. Dow Jones has produced unrivaled quality content for more than 125 years and today has one of the world's largest news gathering operations globally. It produces leading publications and products including the flagship Wall Street Journal, America's largest newspaper by paid circulation; Factiva, Barron's, MarketWatch, Financial News, DJX, Dow Jones Risk & Compliance, Dow Jones Newswires, and Dow Jones VentureSource.Dow Jones is a division of News Corp (NASDAQ: NWS, NWSA; ASX: NWS, NWSLV).
If you require assistance in completing the online application, please contact the Talent Management team for Application Help at TalentResourceTeam@dowjones.com
Job Req 13178
Meet Some of Dow Jones's Employees
Product Team Head, The Wall Street Journal
Katharina supervises digital products for The Wall Street Journal. She leads a team of product managers, and together, they set goals and roadmaps for projects to improve the company’s apps, website, and off-platform experiences.
Back to top