BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT DIRECTOR
Reports to: VP of Business Development
Start Date: ASAP
Location: We are currently 100% remote. Preferably, candidates will be based in the New York City Metro area, but candidates in other locations within the US will be considered.
WHO WE ARE
DoSomething.org is a youth-led movement for good.
We have the stability of a 28-year-old institution, but we look, feel, and operate like a tech-forward nonprofit.
Our social impact campaigns have mobilized millions of DoSomething.org members to clothe half of America's youth in homeless shelters, clean up 3.7 million cigarette butts from the streets, run the largest youth-led sports equipment drive, and register over 250,000 voters during the 2020 presidential election.
Want more? Check out this video .
As Business Development Director, you will bring a high level of creativity, passion, and leadership to cultivating, and stewarding relationships with brands to create impactful campaigns that resonate with and activate young people. Reporting to the VP of Business Development, the Director will be a thought partner in developing strategic solutions for corporate partnerships, and tasked with thinking on your feet, asking the right questions, actively listening for the insights, and negotiating win-win outcomes to serve both our mission and our members.
What you'll do:
Closing deals with new and renewing corporate partnerships. (30%)
As Business Development Director, you'll be responsible for aligning DoSomething's distinct value proposition of knowing young people with partner needs, and working cross-functionally to build campaigns that will bring value to the partner and, first and foremost, to DoSomething members. You'll do the legwork of developing proposals and pitching presentations that show potential partners the power of working with DoSomething. This includes (but is not limited to) calendaring, creating decks, compiling collateral, and other administrative duties as needed.
Team leadership and management (30%)
You will build, lead, and develop a team of two direct reports.
As team lead, you'll be accountable for :
- Strategic oversight of all existing, new, and renewal partner relationships.
- Comprehensive professional development, direction and team building for direct reports.
- Close collaboration with stakeholders throughout the organization to shepherd partner relationships from campaign conception to completion;
- Evaluation of internal processes for partner satisfaction, and delivering actionable feedback to the team for continuous improvement.
Building a robust roster of current, past, and potential prospects (15%).
- You'll manage frequent, value-driven, and customized communications to keep all qualified leads warm, in addition to, identifying new business opportunities and cultivating those contacts.
- You'll attend industry functions, such as association events and conferences, and secure key meetings; source speaking engagements, leverage existing networks of DoSomething leadership and staff, and identify PR opportunities to open doors for new relationships; and, secure partnerships through occasional travel as recommended by CDC safety guidelines.
Internal Reporting, planning and cross-Team collaboration (15%).
- You'll create a highly collaborative framework to include all key departments/stakeholders on new campaign development and pitching. This includes overseeing campaign creation briefs to represent the interests of prospects, and outlining the deliverables required to move the pitch forward.
- As a leader on the Business Development Team, you'll recommend systems that improve the overall operations of the Business Development team and how we work interdepartmentally.
Account Management (10%)
- Given your previous leadership and training in partnerships management, you'll develop and share account management best practices with the Partnership Managers and throughout the organization to ensure we deliver superior partner service and added value at every stage.
- You'll act as a subject matter expert on knowing young people by keeping your finger on the pulse of current events and trends among our primary demographic, and draw data-informed insights from various internal and external sources to inform pitches and campaign creation.
Who you are.
- You come with 7-10 years of direct experience building and locking partnerships of $300,000+ and managing a portfolio of $3MM+ annually.
- You have at least 3 years' management experience with a progressive and proven track record of successfully building and retaining diverse teams, and consistently employing inclusive and race-intentional leadership practices to engage and grow your reports.
- You're seriously passionate about what we do . You believe in the collective power of young people and you're obsessed with getting young people across the globe to take action on important social issues.
- You're prepared to be a thought partner to the VP of Business Development and become a subject matter expert on all aspects of thee organization; you lean into supporting and collaborating with others; and you're committed to continuous learning and exploration of equity, inclusion and race to serve our mission, our members, and our partners.
- You are known for your strong written and verbal communication skills. You can develop presentations with clear narratives and compelling solutions, and your on-brand public speaking and storytelling capabilities make you the "it" person in the room.
- You're on top of your inbox, with a knack for the kind of follow-up that makes partners swoon. You're responsive with the communications that keep things on track, and judicious in managing expectations and setting boundaries. You live up to verbal and written agreements and know that follow-through is the cornerstone of your success.
- You're flexible and able to pivot quickly to prioritize partner needs . You're practiced in customizing your approach, and calibrating to different partner communication styles (aka, 'dress for the day you have').
- You like the challenge of not knowing what a day may bring , manage your time with intentionality, and prioritize like a pro. You adapt solutions to align with changing demands, and make yourself fully available to partners by being flexible with your time and schedule to provide services and information early and often.
- You have demonstrated project management skills and you're experienced in building, delivering, and scaling projects on time.
- You live by data and leverage it to design and execute processes, set and track KPIs, and incorporate feedback to deliver timely solutions.
- You are proficient in GSuite and have working knowledge of CRMs and prospecting tools and techniques (e.g., Hubspot, Hunter.io, LinkedIn Business).
Select Perks & Benefits.
- 3 weeks vacation, paid winter holiday break (from Christmas to New Years), and ½ Day Summer Fridays (Memorial Day to Labor Day!).
- Medical and dental premiums fully covered by us. You read that right!
- An incredibly compelling reason to wake up and make it to work every day.
DoSomething.org is an equal opportunity employer.
Please, no calls.
DoSomething.org and DoSomething Strategic ("we", "us") are committed to protecting and respecting your privacy. This policy explains when and why we collect personal information on candidates, and how we keep it secure.
Who are we?
- DoSomething.org is one of the largest organizations in the world focused on young people and social change. DoSomething Strategic is the consulting arm of DoSomething.org. Our 6 million+ members take action, online and offline, to better their communities by participating in one of our 250+ cause campaigns.
How and why we collect data from you.
- We collect and retain data that is included in your job application. This includes your full name, contact information, and any personal information disclosed in your resume, cover letter, and other supplemental application materials.
- Data is collected for evaluation criteria when seeking employment at DoSomething
- We will only use your data for what was originally intended -- for purposes of seeking and gaining employment at DoSomething. Your data will not be "recycled" for marketing emails or to sell to third parties.
How long do we retain this data?
- DoSomething will retain candidate profiles for 3 years.
- Annually on August 1, candidate profiles from 3+ years prior will be entirely deleted from our system.
Is your data secure?
- JazzHR maintains secure job board pages. Job boards will default to HTTPS. Additionally, if we were to terminate our contract with JazzHR our candidate data is deleted from JazzHR's systems in accordance with JazzHR's Terms of Service.