Vision Applications Engineer
- Sunnyvale, CA
Join the leader in entertainment innovation and help us design the future. At Dolby, science meets art, and high tech means more than computer code. As a member of the Dolby team, you'll see and hear the results of your work everywhere, from movie theaters to smartphones. We continue to revolutionize how people create, deliver, and enjoy entertainment worldwide. To do that, we need the absolute best talent. We're big enough to give you all the resources you need, and small enough so you can make a real difference and earn recognition for your work. We offer a collegial culture, challenging projects, and excellent compensation and benefits.
As a Dolby Vision Application Engineer you will be a core member of Partner Support Strategy and Ops team. You will be working with highly talented teams motivated with single goal of helping Dolby customers design and build world class products with Dolby Technologies! Note: This is not a traditional 40hrs/week job. If you are looking for an exciting opportunity, love challenges and want to fulfill your dreams of helping create products that ship worldwide and proudly say, "I was part of the team!" then come join us!
Dolby Vision is an end-to-end technology solution that delivers a dramatically different visual experience to bring entertainment to life before your eyes like never seen before. It enables consumer displays like TVs, PCs, Mobiles and PC Monitors to deliver images with much greater brightness while also providing much deeper, more nuanced darks, and it renders a fuller palette of rich new colors never seen before.
Core responsibilities of the Dolby Vision Applications Engineer are to participate in support programs and help deploy Dolby Vision solutions to Dolby customers. The Dolby Vision Application Engineer will work closely with Dolby Vision product development, Dolby Vision Engineers, Field Applications Engineers, Sales, and engineers from Dolby customers to perform following tasks:
- Become a technical authority in Dolby Vision HDR technologies. As a technology champion you help execute the integration and testing of Dolby Vision HDR media processing and playback SDKs. You will act a direct liaison between the Dolby's engineering team, Product Management and Dolby's Field Technical Community. In this role, you will be running multiple impactful projects with their own set of challenges and timelines.
- Provide necessary support and technical trainings to our Field Technical Community and customers to integrate Dolby Vision technology into their consumer products and services.
- Expand the Dolby Vision Knowledge Base and help improve support and testing efficiency.
- Test and approve Dolby Vision devices as per Dolby's processes and requirements.
- Partnering and interacting with various groups within Dolby, you will be the voice of our partners, resolving technical challenges and delivering a resolution on behalf of Dolby enabled ecosystems. Projects will require specialized technical knowledge of Dolby Vision SDKs, as well as other technologies in the ecosystem that Dolby Vision HDR relies on to be enabled.
- While collaborating with Dolby Engineering and Product Management to provide recommendations and suggestions for new products and features, based on customer needs and competitive information, you'll use customer meetings to gather intelligence about customers' product plans, product requirements, offerings and approaches and share data with relevant internal Dolby teams.
- You'll also work with Marketing as required, providing input and requirements for the design, development, delivery and packaging of Dolby technologies to customers.
- You will be representing Dolby in customers meetings; a diplomatic, professional approach in verbal and written communication is expected.
- BSEE or similar (Physics, Engineering Technology, Mathematics, Computer Science, etc.) and 5+ years of experience in imaging and system and application engineering.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; a person who is self-motivated, a team player and has an aptitude to work with personnel at all levels within Dolby and its customers.
- Strong work and business ethics
- It is vital that applicant can quickly and deeply learn a variety of technical topics in a short time.
- 2+ years experience coding in C and/or C++. Expertise with one or more scripting languages (Python, BASH etc.).
- Basic understanding of video formats, media containers & streaming protocol.
- Ability and willingness to provide global support leadership in a highly matrixed, culturally diverse and geographically distributed organization
- Experience testing consumer electronics products
- Understanding and/or hands on experience of
- video codecs, and compression standards such as H.264/AVC, H.265/HEVC.
- media frameworks, e.g. Android, Microsoft, Linux and other leading Operating systems
- streaming technologies and protocols including HLS, MPEG-DASH, Smooth Streaming, Play Ready, MP4 containers and Transport stream containers
- common video analysis tools, HDMI frame grabbers/analyzers. Experience with HDR is a plus.
- testing video playback devices like STB, TV, DMA and mobile, etc. is a plus
- Digital Signal Processing.
- Exposure to Perforce or Git, Jira and Salesforce.
- Experience in test automation.
- Technical skills and knowledge of Streaming, Broadcast, MVPD/OTT content distribution systems and architectures.
- Knowledge of color science and hands-on picture quality testing experience is plus.
- Knowledge of video technologies, cinema and television production and post-production workflows.
- Knowledge of Dolby's products, technologies and customers.
Dolby will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of San Francisco Police Code, Article 49, and Administrative Code, Article 12
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Dolby is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Our success depends on the combined skills and talents of all our employees. We are committed to making employment decisions without regard to race, religious creed, color, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, religion, marital status, family status, medical condition, disability, military service, pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions or any other classification protected by federal, state, and local laws and ordinances.
Nearest Major Market: San Jose
Nearest Secondary Market: Palo Alto
Back to top