Via Senior Licensing Sales Manager - EMEA
Join the leader in entertainment innovation and help us design the future. At Dolby, science meets art, and high tech means more than computer code. As a member of the Dolby team, you’ll see and hear the results of your work everywhere, from movie theaters to smartphones. We continue to revolutionize how people create, deliver, and enjoy entertainment worldwide. To do that, we need the absolute best talent. We’re big enough to give you all the resources you need, and small enough so you can make a real difference and earn recognition for your work. We offer a collegial culture, challenging projects, and excellent compensation and benefits.
Via Senior Licensing Sales Manager, EMEA
Via Licensing is a world-leading provider of intellectual property licensing solutions, including patent pools. Via partners with leading companies from around the world to promote innovation and conduct intellectual property licensing in fields such audio, broadcast, wireless and automotive. Via is an independent subsidiary of Dolby Laboratories, a company with more than 40 years of experience licensing technology and administering licensing programs for third-party intellectual property owners.
The Senior Licensing Manager:
- Represents Via in the EMEA region and serves as a lead representative of Via’s London office, and promotes the interests of Via and its partners in the region.
- Conducts direct licensing negotiations with potential licensees and intellectual property infringers.
- Identifies, analyzes, evaluates, and pursues new licensees for Via’s licensing programs.
- Is accountable for licensing revenue generated from licensees established in EMEA for all licensing programs of Via.
- Works with Via leaders in the United States, Europe and Asia to provide EMEA support for diverse areas of licensee/licensor activities, partnering opportunities, and new business development opportunities.
- Formulates, documents and communicates recommendations on licensing opportunities of strategic importance in the region to Via management. Reports regularly and frequently to headquarters with detailed reports on progress in all areas.
Position is based in London, reporting to Via’s Head of Worldwide Sales and Licensing, and will involve close working collaboration with the Via’s President and senior Via leadership throughout the world.
Essential Job Functions
- Manage overall relationships with existing licensees.
- Identify, pursue and execute new intellectual property license agreements with potential new licensees, many of whom may initially be reluctant to take a license until the value of the license is well understood. Provide feedback to Via licensing program managers as to the market response to Via’s licensing offers. Assume ownership of quarterly revenue targets for licensing programs in the region.
- Represent Via and work with Via senior management in Europe and the United States on strategic intellectual property deals.
- Support licensing compliance and enforcement matters as necessary
- Provide support for running select licensing programs by following up and delivering on all commitments to licensees in the region as described in executed agreements. Assume lead role with all Via departments on making sure all operational aspects of licensing programs in the region are running as expected.
- Acquire an in-depth understanding of licensing program(s) offered by the company by becoming familiar with all aspects of the assigned licensing programs’ agreements and the technology that those programs license. Provide assistance to other licensing personnel within Via with respect to assigned licensing programs in outbound licensing activities.
- Build and maintain close working relationships with colleagues at headquarters to facilitate formulation and adoption of optimal strategies for licensing activities in the region.
- Conduct strategic technology/market/business research and develop licensing related recommendations in close collaboration with key internal (headquarters) colleagues and external resources.
- Develop and deliver appropriate communications, e.g., reports, memos, meetings, presentations, etc. to ensure that the Via management team is appropriately informed of all significant external regional specific events related to company business.
- Update and maintain status of licensing discussions up to date in the CRM system, Sales Force
- Make recommendations for tactical and strategic activities to improve licensee relationships and to allow the company to take advantage of opportunities.
- Support and attend as needed meetings of Licensors which may happen in EMEA
- Work to develop and understand the licensee’s perspective and convey these ideas to headquarters to help create and maintain excellence in the overall customer relationship.
- Assist headquarters personnel with administrative tasks related to internal operations, travel, internal and external meetings, licensing trips (licensee and licensor meetings), and communications with clients in the region.
- (30% on average) travel within the region may be required. Additionally, regular trips (2 or 3 per year) to San Francisco headquarters may be required.
Knowledge, Education, Skills, Abilities, and Experience Required
- Strong academic background from a recognized university. Direct academic training in patents, copyrights and/or trademark law will be a positive factor, but is not essential depending on direct work experience in intellectual property licensing and enforcement.
Solid and in-depth experience in intellectual property licensing and related fields. Experience dealing with intellectual property infringers and/or reluctant licensees is important. Direct experience in with either patent licensing or anti-counterfeiting work involving copyrights or trade secrets would be highly desired.
- Experience and track record in closing cross-border licensing deals.
- Excellent verbal, written and presentation communication skills in English are essential. Proficiency in at least one other European language would be highly desired.
- Must have the ability to work successfully in a team environment with a diverse group of technical and business staff.
- Project management experience useful.
Meet Some of Dolby's Employees
Senior HR Representative
Kari works with managers and business partner teams on new company mergers and acquisitions—providing guidance about the ins and outs of Dolby to ensure smooth business transitions.
Back to top