Join the leader in entertainment innovation and help us design the future. At Dolby, science meets art, and high tech means more than computer code. As a member of the Dolby team, you'll see and hear the results of your work everywhere, from movie theaters to smartphones. We continue to revolutionize how people create, deliver, and enjoy entertainment worldwide. To do that, we need the absolute best talent. We're big enough to give you all the resources you need, and small enough so you can make a real difference and earn recognition for your work. We offer a collegial culture, challenging projects, and excellent compensation and benefits.
Would you like to be part of the exciting future of entertainment and add your talents to those of an amazing team?
A Technical Writer is effective in performing duties common to writers at other levels as a contributor to a team project, with mentoring by a more experienced writer or manager. A Technical Writer reviews structured problems, independently selects appropriate procedures from a body of established procedures, and establishes deadlines and approaches for completing assignments.Contributes to projects led by a senior or staff technical writer, and/or works independently on single and/or smaller, simpler projects with mentoring support by a senior or staff technical writer or manager.
Works with subject matter experts in San Francisco, Sunnyvale, Nürnberg, Wrocław and other Dolby offices worldwide to develop and coordinate approval of task-based information that is structured to maximize reusability. Creates, revises, edits, and designs technical instructions, illustrations, and test documentation. Final deliverable formats include HTML, PDF, online help systems, XML consumed by automated systems, and fill-in forms. Serves as an interdepartmental point person on these activities.
Essential job functions
A Technical Writer's job functions include content creation for small and medium projects or contribution of content to large and/or complex projects.
- Writes and illustrates English-language technical documentation for distribution to Dolby licensees, partners, and end-user customers in collaboration with product development teams.
- Conducts up-front analysis, develops formal use cases, and develops task-based documentation.
- Influences the product development process to facilitate upstream content development and content quality.
- Develops documentation plans and manages related tasks in project management scheduling software.
- Establishes understanding and consistent use of processes, tools, inputs, and outputs among all contributors.
- Coordinates reviews, implements comments, facilitates discussion among stakeholders to resolve discrepancies, and secures approval of final documents.
- Improves and extends standards and processes for content structure, stylistic conventions for writing and illustrating, publishing methodologies, and related tools and infrastructure.
- Communicates effectively in oral and written exchanges among internal and external clients, colleagues, and managers.
- Performs duties as assigned by immediate supervisor or any member of the Dolby management team, subject to approval by direct manager and/or departmental VP.
- Assists team members as needed.
- Performs tasks necessary to complete performance objectives.
- Entry-level positions require a minimum of two years of related or comparable professional experience.
Educational and professional background
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent professional certification.
- Experience using minimalist writing and structured authoring principles to maximize searchability, filtering, and content reusability across delivery types, products, and versions.
- Experience designing and writing content using XML, DITA, and content management systems. Further skills in information architecture, XSLT, XSL-FO, OT, HTML, and CSS are desirable.
Also helpful (not required)
- Coursework and/or professional experience with audio/video codecs and production, hardware, software, or broadcast technologies.
- Experience with OxygenXML; Adobe FrameMaker, Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign; Microsoft Visio; Doxygen; DocBooks; project management software; Perforce; software/hardware user interfaces; localization and internationalization of technical communications and software/hardware UIs.
Meet Some of Dolby's Employees
Product Trial Manager
As Product Trial Manager, Jennine works in the Communications business group, refining Dolby Voice technology with videoconference service providers by testing product solutions under different circumstances.
Back to top