Would you like to be part of the exciting future of entertainment and add your talents to those of an amazing team?
Join the leader in entertainment innovation and help us design the future. At Dolby, science meets art, and high tech means more than computer code. As a member of the Dolby team, you'll see and hear the results of your work everywhere, from movie theaters to smartphones. We continue to revolutionize how people create, deliver, and enjoy entertainment worldwide. To do that, we need the absolute best talent. We're big enough to give you all the resources you need, and small enough so you can make a real difference and earn recognition for your work. We offer a collegial culture, challenging projects, and excellent compensation and benefits.
A Technical Writer in Advanced Technology Group is effective in performing duties common to writers serving Technical Communications. Contributes as part of a Sound Technology R&D project team, with mentoring by a more experienced writer or manager.
Reviews structured problems, selects appropriate procedures from a body of established procedures, follows deadlines and approaches for completing assignments.
Contributes to projects led by a senior or staff technical writer, and works independently on single or smaller, simplier projects with mentoring support by a senior or staff technical writer or manager.
Works with subject matter experts primarily in Wrocław and Nuremberg, as well as other Dolby offices worldwide to develop and coordinate approval of task-oriented information that is structured to maximize reusability.
Creates, revises, edits, and designs technical instructions, illustrations, and test documentation. Final deliverable formats include HTML, PDF, online help systems, XML consumed by automated systems, and fill-in forms. Serves as an interdepartmental point person on these activities.
Essential job functions
A Technical Writer's job functions include content creation for small and medium projects or contribution of content to large and/or complex projects.
- Writes and illustrates English-language technical documentation for distribution to Dolby licensees, partners, and internal stakeholders in collaboration with research and technology development teams.
- Conducts up-front analysis, identifies formal use cases, and develops task-oriented documentation.
- Influences the technology development process to facilitate upstream content development and content quality.
- Develops documentation plans and manages related tasks in project management scheduling software.
- Establishes understanding and consistent use of processes, tools, inputs, and outputs among all contributors.
- Coordinates reviews, implements comments, facilitates discussion among stakeholders to resolve discrepancies, and secures approval of final documents.
- Improves and extends standards and processes for content structure, stylistic conventions for writing and illustrating, publishing methodologies, and related tools and infrastructure.
- Communicates effectively in oral and written exchanges among internal and external clients, colleagues, and managers.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent professional certification.
- A minimum of two years English-language technical writing or comparable professional experience.
- Ability to understand complex new concepts.
- Experience using minimalist writing and structured authoring principles to maximize searchability, filtering, and content reusability across delivery types, technology components, and versions.
- Experience designing and writing content using XML, DITA, and content management systems. Further skills in information architecture, XSLT, XSL-FO, DITA-OT, HTML, and CSS are desirable.
Expertise in these areas would be an advantage:
- Coursework and/or professional experience with audio/video codecs and production, hardware, software, or broadcast technologies.
- Experience with OxygenXML; Adobe FrameMaker, Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign; Microsoft Visio; Doxygen; DocBooks; project management software; Perforce; software/hardware user interfaces;
- Localization and internationalization of technical communications and software/hardware UIs.
Meet Some of Dolby's Employees
Product Trial Manager
As Product Trial Manager, Jennine works in the Communications business group, refining Dolby Voice technology with videoconference service providers by testing product solutions under different circumstances.
Back to top