Staff Systems Applications Engineer
Join the leader in entertainment innovation and help us design the future. At Dolby, science meets art, and high tech means more than computer code. As a member of the Dolby team, you'll see and hear the results of your work everywhere, from movie theaters to smartphones. We continue to revolutionize how people create, deliver, and enjoy entertainment worldwide. To do that, we need the absolute best talent. We're big enough to give you all the resources you need, and small enough so you can make a real difference and earn recognition for your work. We offer a collegial culture, challenging projects, and excellent compensation and benefits.
As one of Dolby's Applications Engineers working on Dolby Vision, you will serve as a key guide providing technical navigation, instruction and support for our licensees in the adoption of Dolby Vision technology and in the planning, design, manufacture, testing, and field deployment of products offering our technologies and wearing our logos. Internally, you'll serve as an authority and trainer for Dolby staff on our licensees, our business systems, and the current state of the market segments for all of our technologies. In carrying out these missions, you'll work on a variety of different tasks which include evaluating product performance during testing and persuasively communicating results to Dolby's licensees through formal written reports; negotiating with licensee companies to find optimal design solutions that expediently support Dolby's brand promises without undue hardship for the customer in terms of timeline or cost; maintaining our product and customer databases as a part of our technical correspondence with customers; serving as a beta testing and consulting resource during creation of new and revised test procedures, signals, and specifications; hosting and traveling to visit customers as needed to stay in touch with strategic accounts; and providing close technical support for sales, marketing, tradeshow operations, and our valued industry partners.
- Correspond and collaborate extensively to provide technical support to licensee companies by email, by phone, and in person during product planning, design, development, manufacture, and sale. Advance cases and customer issues to other departments as needed.
- Serve as a mentor for junior apps engineering staff and as a trainer and guide for other customer-facing and technical personnel companywide.
- Continually and unflaggingly maintain comprehensive, accurate, and accessible records and documentation in both personal and company files and databases describing product evaluations, products, and correspondence with licensees.
- Produce complete and accurate product evaluation reports to describe performance of licensed products and encourage our licensees to promote and maintain the quality and value associated with Dolby trademarks by achieving compliant performance.
- Complete, process, and file e-paperwork needed to track production of Dolby products and report/recognize royalty revenue.
- Maintain a detailed and experienced knowledge of relevant standards, technologies, and specifications, garnered where possible in advance of industry adoption. As needed, train junior staff members on same. Maintain the ability to provide in real time a seasoned and predictive view to internal staff regarding how these standards may affect or constrain Dolby's current and future technologies (and vice-versa).
- Working regularly with multi-functional teams across Dolby as the "voice of the customer", you will provide feedback on and driving improvements to Dolby's licensing work.
- You'll train internal staff, liaison offices, and management in system-level implementation of Dolby's technologies as well as in the use of our internal systems such as database and reporting tools, while participating in recruiting and interviewing as needed. You'll also have fun attending trade shows, seminars, conferences, and educational events to support internal and external customers and stay abreast of industry developments. Occasional international travel may be required.
Skills, Education, and Experience
- Absolute, unwavering, and unconditionally honest conscientiousness, even when nobody is watching. This is more important than anything else. Repeat: This is more important than anything else.
- BSEE or MSEE or similar (Physics, Engineering Technology, Mathematics, Computer Science, etc.) and 7+ years of experience in consumer audio/video or related fields.
- Experience should include technologies and standards related to television and broadcast systems; video hardware design; video test and measurement; video DSP; perceptual coders; video standards.
- Also desired, some experience in image processing, picture quality analysis, or color science.
- Capacity to speak / read / write any of Mandarin, Shanghainese, Korean, Japanese, Cantonese, is something we hope for but is not required. International travel and/or work experience is a plus.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills are expected.
- Ability to quickly understand complex technical and/or business issues and explain the same to technical and non-technical personnel without resorting to big words or complex grammatical structures.
- Ability to make decisions based upon criteria that are often fuzzy and to rationalize those decisions to senior management if needed.
- Interest in one or more of the following: consumer electronics, home theater, cinema, movies, multimedia entertainment.
Dolby will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of San Francisco Police Code, Article 49, and Administrative Code, Article 12
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Dolby is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Our success depends on the combined skills and talents of all our employees. We are committed to making employment decisions without regard to race, religious creed, color, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, religion, marital status, family status, medical condition, disability, military service, pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions or any other classification protected by federal, state, and local laws and ordinances.
Meet Some of Dolby's Employees
Product Trial Manager
As Product Trial Manager, Jennine works in the Communications business group, refining Dolby Voice technology with videoconference service providers by testing product solutions under different circumstances.
Back to top