Staff Researcher- Video Processing
Join the leader in entertainment innovation and help us design the future. At Dolby, science meets art, and high tech means more than computer code. As a member of the Dolby team, you'll see and hear the results of your work everywhere, from movie theaters to smartphones. We continue to revolutionize how people create, deliver, and enjoy entertainment worldwide. To do that, we need the absolute best talent. We're big enough to give you all the resources you need, and small enough so you can make a real difference and earn recognition for your work. We offer a collegial culture, challenging projects, and excellent compensation and benefits.
Staff Researcher- Video Processing
The Advanced Media Systems team is on a mission to advance and improve both cloud and network-delivered media experiences for the world's most influential media service providers.
This research role will focus on advancing Dolby's cloud- and network-powered innovations in media coding and delivery. As a key member of the Advanced Media Systems Group, an ideal candidate will bring a strong background and experience in video processing, video coding, media streaming and video/audio psychophysics. Outstanding capability with problem-solving, demonstrated bias toward action and a desire to learn new technologies are also preferred.
The position consists of, but is not limited to the following responsibilities:
- Conducting research on advanced video processing and coding techniques applicable to OTT media streaming applications.
- Development of subjective test methods and written analyses of results.
- Development of objective models for audio-visual quality assessment.
- Design and development of proof-of-concept test platforms to evaluate and quantify the performance of advanced media coding and streaming systems.
- Experience and working understanding of video processing, video coding (e.g. MPEG-2, H.264, H.265, AV1/AV2, VP9), OTT systems/package formats (e.g. DASH, CMAF, HLS) and computer networking.
- Demonstrated knowledge of state-of-the-art OTT media delivery paradigms, relevant standards and methods practiced in the OTT media market today.
- Experience with subjective testing and data analysis.
- Demonstrated understanding of the human visual system (perception and cognition) and experience in the development of objective models.
- Proficient in programming, e.g., C/C++, Python, Matlab or similar research/development tools.
- Ability to rapidly-prototype video/audio processing and streaming platforms
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Process oriented, tenacious curiosity and bias toward action preferred.
- Experience and understanding of human auditory perception and cognition.
- Experienced in web development (frontend and backend) including work with cloud database implementations.
- Experienced in mobile application development including iOS and Android.
- Ph.D. in CS/EE, or MS in CS/EE with 8+ years relevant experience
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Dolby is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Our success depends on the combined skills and talents of all our employees. We are committed to making employment decisions without regard to race, religious creed, color, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, religion, marital status, family status, medical condition, disability, military service, pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions or any other classification protected by federal, state, and local laws and ordinances.
Nearest Major Market: San Jose
Nearest Secondary Market: Palo Alto
Back to top