Staff Researcher, Video Codec and Processing Engineer
- Sunnyvale, CA
Join the leader in entertainment innovation and help us design the future. At Dolby, science meets art, and high tech means more than computer code. As a member of the Dolby team, you'll see and hear the results of your work everywhere, from movie theaters to smartphones. We continue to revolutionize how people create, deliver, and enjoy entertainment worldwide. To do that, we need the absolute best talent. We're big enough to give you all the resources you need, and small enough so you can make a real difference and earn recognition for your work. We offer a collegial culture, challenging projects, and excellent compensation and benefits.
You will bring your experience in video coding and processing technology development to Dolby's video codec R&D team. You will research and develop cutting edge technologies at the intersections between machine learning and video compression and processing. As a prerequisite for your work, you have either expert knowledge of video coding standards (AVC, HEVC, VVC, etc.), or of machine learning in the context of image and video processing. Your solid understanding of trade-offs between computational complexity and picture quality will guide you in decisions. You will research and develop new algorithms to improve video coding systems, develop proof-of-concept prototypes, and evaluate end-to-end system performance.
You must have expert knowledge of the principles, algorithms, and techniques in video and image processing, or machine learning, or computer vision technology. You should have excellent software design, problem solving, and debugging skills. You will join a highly skilled and motivated team to research and develop advanced video processing technologies to improve the quality, efficiency, and capabilities of video coding.
- Works with a general understanding of competitive technologies in the area of focus.
- Works to understand the system context in which new technologies will be used and the requirements that the technology must fulfill for success.
- Creates early-stage conceptual models that demonstrate feasibility.
- Documents and presents new algorithms and implementations in various forms, including standards contributions, patent applications, conference and journal publications, presentations, technical white papers, etc. Presents standards contributions and conference papers at various venues (JVET/MPEG meetings, IEEE conferences, etc).
- May represent company technology interests in industry associations or standards bodies based on guidance from senior technical staff or management.
- Maintain the highest technical and moral integrity for Dolby in the workplace and marketplace.
Skills, Education, and Experience Required
- Masters or Ph.D. degree in electrical engineering, computer engineering, or computer science, or related engineering disciplines required.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in developing algorithms for video compression or machine learning systems.
- Solid research background in video or image coding and processing.
- Experience in spearheading R&D in learning-based and other emerging new media technologies.
- Track record of successful research accomplishments, published papers, and/or patent applications in the field of video coding and processing.
- Experience in filing patents of newly developed technologies.
- Prior participation in standardization activities with experience in drafting and defending contributions preferred.
- In-depth understanding of pre-/post-processing algorithms including implementation aspects.
- Extensive programming experience in C/C++ applied to image/video coding/processing is required.
- Excellent written and verbal English communication skills. Strong team player with ability to work independently.
- Available and willing to travel internationally.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Dolby is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Our success depends on the combined skills and talents of all our employees. We are committed to making employment decisions without regard to race, religious creed, color, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, religion, marital status, family status, medical condition, disability, military service, pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions or any other classification protected by federal, state, and local laws and ordinances.
Nearest Major Market: San Jose
Nearest Secondary Market: Palo Alto
Back to top