Staff Mechanical Engineer
Join the leader in entertainment innovation and help us design the future. At Dolby, science meets art, and high tech means more than computer code. As a member of the Dolby team, you'll see and hear the results of your work everywhere, from movie theaters to smartphones. We continue to revolutionize how people create, deliver, and enjoy entertainment worldwide. To do that, we need the absolute best talent. We're big enough to give you all the resources you need, and small enough so you can make a real difference and earn recognition for your work. We offer a collegial culture, challenging projects, and excellent compensation and benefits.
This newly created role of Staff Engineer, Mechanical to support Dolby's Cinema and Professional Loudspeaker solutions will be a member of an engineering team that develops products for the Dolby Cinema business unit. Working closely with the cross-functional business teams, along with the core Dolby cinema engineering team, the successful candidate will utilize the tools and processes of our world class engineering group to bring advanced, disruptive products to market.
The individual is expected to have some knowledge of the cinema and/or professional audio markets, and a background in transducers, loudspeaker systems, loudspeaker and room interactions, audio signal processing and product manufacturing is a clear advantage. He/she must be a team player and thrive in an environment of diverse multi-functional teams, across different time zones around the world.
The successful candidate will regularly engage with people across multiple disciplines including R&D, engineering, manufacturing, support, operations and program management to deliver innovative products to the market and drive increased market share.
Scope and responsibilities
- Design loudspeaker products, rigging structures, interconnects and electronic packaging
- Create engineering documentation and product bill of material
- Work in close collaboration with electrical engineers and acoustic researchers
- Interface with component, tooling and manufacturing vendors to ensure the ME design meets product development expectations
- Perform design and analysis of mechanical systems, enclosures and product protective packaging
- Conduct environmental tests such as thermal, shock and vibration. Issue test reports on findings and analysis
- Directly support internal or external customers in detailed part design, hands-on prototype fabrication and product evaluation
- Lead, mentor and supervise an associate mechanical engineer
Skills, abilities & experience
- Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering and 8+ years of hands-on experience in mechanical design and product development
- Advanced knowledge of CAD software such as Solidworks (preferred), PTC Creo or Siemens NX.
- Experience designing with product development tools such as product lifecycle management (PLM) and product design management (PDM)
- Hands-on knowledge of drafting practices, engineering documentation and change control procedures
- Experience designing electronic packaging such as industry standard 19-inch rackmount chassis and plastic enclosures.
- Experience designing for injection molding process, metal stamping, extrusion and metal die casting
- Experience in design-for-manufacturability, environmental and safety compliance
- Experience with design or evaluation of product packaging
- Experience with analytical methods for static, dynamic stress analysis, thermal and fluid dynamics
- Familiar with instrumentation practices for thermal, stress and vibration and modal analysis
- Experience working with electrical engineers on PCBs and cable assemblies
- Strong mechanical engineering fundamentals
- Material science knowledge with focus on audio products
- Knowledge of wood working, machine shop and inspection practices
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively with diverse teams, both functionally and geographically
- Organizational savvy to get things done in a dynamic deadline driven environment
- Proven ability of working hands-on and multitasking
- Solid written, verbal and technical language proficiency
- Ability to travel internationally
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Dolby is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Our success depends on the combined skills and talents of all our employees. We are committed to making employment decisions without regard to race, religious creed, color, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, religion, marital status, family status, medical condition, disability, military service, pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions or any other classification protected by federal, state, and local laws and ordinances.
Meet Some of Dolby's Employees
Product Trial Manager
As Product Trial Manager, Jennine works in the Communications business group, refining Dolby Voice technology with videoconference service providers by testing product solutions under different circumstances.
Back to top