Staff Field Applications Engineer, PQ Tuning
Join the leader in entertainment innovation and help us design the future. At Dolby, science meets art, and high tech means more than computer code. As a member of the Dolby team, you'll see and hear the results of your work everywhere, from movie theaters to smartphones. We continue to revolutionize how people create, deliver, and enjoy entertainment worldwide. To do that, we need the absolute best talent. We're big enough to give you all the resources you need, and small enough so you can make a real difference and earn recognition for your work. We offer a collegial culture, challenging projects, and excellent compensation and benefits.
For half a century, Dolby has led the way in developing innovative entertainment products and technologies used by consumers and professionals worldwide. Innovations from Dolby can be heard in consumer audio and video products, entertainment software, and professional sound applications, including music recording, broadcasting, and sound for motion pictures.
Now Dolby is defining High Dynamic Range (HDR) Imaging systems for delivering breathtaking experiences in the Cinema, in the home and on the go. Our long-standing commitment to research and development enables our focus to remain on solutions that work today and are prepared for the future. That's what keeps us on the leading edge of the industry.
Dolby's Greater China Sales Team is seeking a Field Application Engineer (FAE) responsible for providing engineering and technical support to assist the sales team with closing new design wins. The FAE will do this by providing technical support and acting as a visionary for helping our customers understand how Dolby's video technologies can enhance the value proposition of their products. The FAE will be the primary "technical voice of the customer" within Dolby for assigned accounts.
This position requires an in-depth working knowledge of video technologies and their integration into consumer electronics, TVs, set-top boxes, and other entertainment products. The FAE will act as the technical resource for assigned accounts and will regularly report on key trends, market conditions, customer feedback, competitive technologies, and sale obstacles that they may encounter while in engaging with customers.
- Own video quality validation and picture quality tuning. Debug and drive defect resolution through the product development cycle.
- Lead internal video quality reviews. Interact with external customers.
- Work with OEM/supplier for customized display panel designs.
- Fine tune image and video quality on different displays. Measure and characterize displays for best picture quality
- Interface with ISP vendors and display manufacturers. Adjust ISP settings and parameters to meet individual customer preferences.
- Organize and/or deliver internal and external technology presentation and demos as required.
- Interface with Dolby product evaluation technicians to prioritize picture quality tuning and testing of IC's, operating system integrations, and consumer electronics devices to assess and ensure compliance with Dolby vision standards.
- Work with Project Management to create project plans based on the work scope and successfully execute the customer engineering portion of the project plans.
- Provide detailed technical support to the customer base while acting as a visionary for Dolby video technologies to drive successful design-in results.
- Interface with Dolby Engineering and Marketing to provide input and suggestions for new products and features, based on customer needs and competitive information. Leverage customer meetings to gather intelligence about customers' end product plans, product requirements and sharing data with relevant internal Dolby teams.
- Attend trade shows, seminars, conferences, and educational events to keep abreast of industry developments, promote and demonstrate Dolby technologies and examine the potential of new markets for Dolby technologies.
- MS. Or BS. In Engineering, or equivalent related experience with 5+ years of technical experience. Requires a working knowledge of video product applications and design. Experience with firmware based video processing desirable.
- Experience must include exposure to the following areas: Picture Quality tuning, HDTV HW/SW design, analog and digital circuitry, broadcast technologies.
- Ability to judge picture quality via subjective and objective methods.
- Knowledge of TV system interface, including HDMI, LVDS and VX1. Also prefer to have HDMI frame grabber experience.
- Strong programming skills for embedded system.
- Experience with video codecs, and compression standards such as H.264, H.265 and HEVC. Knowledge of common video analysis tools, HDMI and video perceptual quality testing.
- Understands the OEM market for TVs, set-top boxes, DMAs etc.
- Customer-focused with strong service orientation.
- Strong debugging, problem solving and critical thinking skills.
- Self-motivated, self-assured person with aptitude to interface with personnel from highest to lowest levels of customer engineering organizations.
- Ability to work independently to achieve goals established in a team environment. Ability to understand and explain technical issues to technical and non-technical personnel.
- Excellent written and verbal English communications skills and ability to work with both internal and external customers with wide range of knowledge and skill levels.
- Travel update to 25%~35% required.
- Exposure to Jira and Salesforce.
- Experience with Python, Perl, and Bash.
- Expert knowledge of video technologies and television production and post-production workflows.
- Customer facing experience.
- Experience with high dynamic range video.
- Knowledge of Dolby's products, technologies and customers.
Build your career profile, also within the Careers tab in Employee Central to open the possibility of new opportunities finding you. Express your interest. If you want to express your interest in a specific opportunity and be contacted by a recruiter, click the apply button associated with the relevant job description. The Recruiter is is the only one who will see your application.
Please refer to the recruiting web site for more information: https://dolbyconnect.dolby.net/organization/HR/Pages/recruiting.aspx
Meet Some of Dolby's Employees
Product Trial Manager
As Product Trial Manager, Jennine works in the Communications business group, refining Dolby Voice technology with videoconference service providers by testing product solutions under different circumstances.
Back to top