Staff Electrical Engineer
Join the leader in entertainment innovation and help us design the future. At Dolby, science meets art, and high tech means more than computer code. As a member of the Dolby team, you'll see and hear the results of your work everywhere, from movie theaters to smartphones. We continue to revolutionize how people create, deliver, and enjoy entertainment worldwide. To do that, we need the absolute best talent. We're big enough to give you all the resources you need, and small enough so you can make a real difference and earn recognition for your work. We offer a collegial culture, challenging projects, and excellent compensation and benefits.
This newly created role of Staff Engineer, Electrical to support Dolby's Cinema and Professional Loudspeaker solutions will be a member of an engineering team that develops products for the Dolby Cinema business unit. Working closely with the cross-functional business teams, along with the core Dolby cinema engineering team, the successful candidate will utilize the tools and processes of our world class engineering group to bring advanced, disruptive products to market.
The individual is expected to have some knowledge of the cinema and/or professional audio markets, and a background in audio electronics, loudspeakers, analog design & data conversion, and power electronics is a clear advantage. He/she must be a team player and thrive in an environment of diverse multi-functional teams, across different time zones around the world.
The successful candidate will regularly engage with people across multiple disciplines including R&D, engineering, manufacturing, support, operations and program management to deliver innovative products to the market and drive increased market share.
Scope and responsibilities
- Design analog and digital electronic hardware with an emphasis on audio band applications. This will require experience with audio band data conversion, mixed signal analysis, and control loop theory.
- Develop and troubleshoot power electronics hardware such as switching power supplies and Class-D audio amplification circuits.
- Simulate and analyze new circuit topologies for use within audio electronics, loudspeakers, and power conversion devices.
- Create design documents (schematics, test procedures, bill of materials, etc.) necessary to support and build products that Dolby will be developing.
- Work and collaborate with a broad cross-functional team to ensure new product designs are developed with proper attention to quality, manufacturing, supply chain, and life cycle details.
- Support product derivative initiatives that expand existing Dolby product portfolios.
- Lead, mentor, and support junior engineers in their career development and project design efforts.
Skills, abilities & experience
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in Electrical Engineering.
- Minimum 8 years of industry proven experience.
- Experience with analog & digital audio circuit design, operational amplifiers, data conversion, audio amplification circuits, etc.
- Understanding of switch-mode power conversion, off-line AC/DC power supplies, and Class-D audio amplification design.
- Familiarity with high frequency magnetic design – switch-mode transformers, power inductors, etc.
- Experience with digital communication protocols & theories would be favorable.
- Self-motivated with the ability to perform design & development tasks with minimal oversight.
- Great team player with strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Highly proficient using engineering development tools – circuit simulation, schematic capture, numerical computing environments, integrated development environments, etc.
- Proficiency with Mentor Graphics development tools would be preferred.
- Skilled using laboratory test & measurement equipment such as mixed signal oscilloscopes, audio analyzers, power analyzers, etc.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively with diverse teams, both functionally and geographically
- Organizational savvy to get things done in a dynamic deadline driven environment
- Proven ability of working hands-on and multitasking
- Solid written, verbal and technical language proficiency
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally, with one or more trips per year.
- Willing to relocate to the Springfield, Missouri area.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Dolby is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Our success depends on the combined skills and talents of all our employees. We are committed to making employment decisions without regard to race, religious creed, color, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, religion, marital status, family status, medical condition, disability, military service, pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions or any other classification protected by federal, state, and local laws and ordinances.
Meet Some of Dolby's Employees
Product Trial Manager
As Product Trial Manager, Jennine works in the Communications business group, refining Dolby Voice technology with videoconference service providers by testing product solutions under different circumstances.
Back to top